Is this the UK's most dangerous zebra crossing?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 26715

They need to investigate to find out why so many drivers are driving badly there, then take whatever measures are reasonable to reduce that.

Finally you agree, there is nothing wrong with the crossing & that all the fault lies with the drivers,

geocycle

Legendary Member
@mjr so is it ok to cycle across a pedestrian crossing providing you arrive by the road or on a shared path? I’ve always got off and pushed on the assumption I shouldn’t cycle.

DRM

Guru
Most zebra crossings do not have that many incidents of people being hit.
Can I ask if you’ve ever driven through Bradford? It’s really indescribable how bad the standard of driving is, the Police are pulling their hair out trying to keep on top of things, it’s so bad that it affects people’s insurance premiums who are around 10 miles out in the Leeds City Council area, not stopping at crossroads, junctions, roundabouts and crossings is an everyday occurrence

D

Deleted member 26715

Can I ask if you’ve ever driven through Bradford? It’s really indescribable how bad the standard of driving is, the Police are pulling their hair out trying to keep on top of things, it’s so bad that it affects people’s insurance premiums who are around 10 miles out in the Leeds City Council area, not stopping at crossroads, junctions, roundabouts and crossings is an everyday occurrence

I don't think Bradford is alone in this, the standard of driving everywhere appears to be abysmal

DRM

Guru
I don't think Bradford is alone in this, the standard of driving everywhere appears to be abysmal

Well, traveling all over the North Eastern part of Britain, it’s by far the worst place I go to, general standards everywhere are low, but Bradford takes it to a whole new level, you really need eyes in the back of your head, you definitely get the feeling that it’s not if you’re going to be involved in a crash, but when

Alex321

Veteran

Not recently, but I did so a fair number of times over a year or two in the mid 90's. I didn't notice the standards being particularly worse than other places then.

But are you saying that many zebras in Bradford have a lot of people being hit by cars & vans?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
@mjr so is it ok to cycle across a pedestrian crossing providing you arrive by the road or on a shared path? I’ve always got off and pushed on the assumption I shouldn’t cycle.
Yes, my understanding is it's legally carriageway that you can normally ride on, but council planners hate that layout because it results in an ambiguity: in theory cyclists have no priority, unlike pedestrians, unless (since 2016) there's a cycle lane marked next to the zebra stripes, so should treat it as an uncontrolled/unmarked crossing.

In practice, drivers don't have time to see if there's a cycle lane marked and most will give way anyway, but you should be cautious because some drivers won't yield even if there is a marked lane across and priority doesn't stop collisions hurting.

Dadam

So to summarise:
Are the drivers to blame for mowing down peds and cyclists on that crossing? Yes
Are those cyclists to blame? Yes, they share some blame as they shouldn't be crossing there. At least they wouldn't be expected to be crossing there so they contributed.
Is the road layout contributing to the number of collisions? Possibly
If so could a redesign reduce collisions ? Yes, likely
Therefore should the road layout be investigated? Yes

All of those can be true at the same time. :rolleyes:

Jameshow

Veteran
Does anyone know what road this video is of?!

Bradford driving is pretty poor!
Ranks highest in insurance company data apparently.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: DRM

Jameshow

Veteran
Know the road well what with the Canterbury estate nearby and great Horton too. Always used to see dodgy driving on late drive home to allerton.

Canal road now isn't half as fun!

D

Deleted member 26715

So to summarise:
Are the drivers to blame for mowing down peds and cyclists on that crossing? Yes
Are those cyclists to blame? Yes, they share some blame as they shouldn't be crossing there. At least they wouldn't be expected to be crossing there so they contributed.
Is the road layout contributing to the number of collisions? Possibly
If so could a redesign reduce collisions ? Yes, likely
Therefore should the road layout be investigated? Yes

All of those can be true at the same time. :rolleyes:

Sorry you're wrong that point, whether they should be there or not is irrelevant, the drivers should be expecting to have to stop.

Top Bottom