Is this the UK's poshest bike shop?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I happened upon the website of Push Cartel which led me to wonder if there are any posher - or more expensive - bike shops.

Based in Ambleside in the Lake District, they describe themselves as bicycle ateliers.

Atelier, google informs me, is an artists' studio, so this mob clearly consider themselves to be artists rather than bike retailers and repairers.

That might qualify for another award - the bike shop with the most pretentious self-description.

I'm bound to observe this particular artist's studio looks like a tin shed from the outside, although it's nicely fitted out inside.

A visit is tempting, but that better not be on a Monday which is reserved for customers who are having a "£10,000 and above" bike build.

Cipollini and Parlee get lots of mentions, although there is a lowly Orbea ebike in one of the pictures.

Good luck to them if they can make a business solely from those prepared to spend thousands, but I wonder if there are many of those customers, even in a wealthy area such as the Lake District.

https://www.pushcartel.co.uk/

rikki

Legendary Member
"Curated brands" no less.
And they sell coffee too (of course).
"Colombia's finest roasted in Threlkeld, Cumbria"
1577751891916.png

Well I paid >GBP3K for my Thorn Mercury so I am sure that there would be plenty of well to do Cafe racers who would not bat an eyelid at dropping GBP10K for a super lightweight bike with di2 etc. I would have thought that they would be more London based however.

Mike

OP
OP
Pale Rider

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I'm not sure that they understand the meaning of "cartel".
It's not a word I would want associated with my business.

I thought the same.

There is an explanation somewhere on the website.

Something to do with a group of like-minded individuals.

Sounded rather waffly to me, but I suppose the name does make them stand out.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
The one in the next town to me, maybe not posh but he is inclined to only have expensive brands but amazingly he is still doing well. I personally find them too expensive even for servicing and parts so don't use them much.
https://www.facebook.com/synergybikeshop/

AndyRM

XOXO
They've been managing pretty well for nearly a decade, I doubt they're worried about some inverse snobbery from an internet keyboard warrior.

As it happens, I've been in. Lovely shop, beautiful bikes and knowledgeable, friendly staff who were happy to chat despite me clearly not being in the market for any of their wares.

OP
OP
Pale Rider

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
They've been managing pretty well for nearly a decade, I doubt they're worried about some inverse snobbery from an internet keyboard warrior.

As it happens, I've been in. Lovely shop, beautiful bikes and knowledgeable, friendly staff who were happy to chat despite me clearly not being in the market for any of their wares.

Despite your snotty snipe at me, I'm pleased to hear they are generally welcoming.

I get the impression you've recently moved to the North East, but there is a little-known high end roadie shop in Durham City at which the owner is known in the trade for his poor attitude to those who he judges not to be buyers.

I keep on meaning to call in on my ebike which I'm told would send him into apoplexy, but I've never nailed down the exact address.

One of the County Durham-based roadies on here might know of it - @jongooligan?

The one in the next town to me, maybe not posh but he is inclined to only have expensive brands but amazingly he is still doing well. I personally find them too expensive even for servicing and parts so don't use them much.
https://www.facebook.com/synergybikeshop/

Some nice ebikes on the Facebook page.

I can at least relate to those, which I can't a '£10,000+ bespoke build'.

Top Bottom