Is this tree dead?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The bark looks like it's been scraped off at the base, ...
(Not so) daft question - do you strim the grass around the tree?

Very common damage to trees; the strimmer, used over a few seasons, stripping the bark right round the trunk, circling the trunk ... and killing the tree.

[As in one M Thatcher killed more trees than Dutch Elm Disease! The Tories' replacement of skilled and experienced council employees with cheap, contracted-out, strim-and-who-cares, privatised "services" killed perhaps 10% of urban trees. Sorry - don't remember where I read that :sad:.]

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Apple wood smells lovely in an open fire.

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
(Not so) daft question - do you strim the grass around the tree?

Very common damage to trees; the strimmer, used over a few seasons, stripping the bark right round the trunk, circling the trunk ... and killing the tree.

[As in one M Thatcher killed more trees than Dutch Elm Disease! The Tories' replacement of skilled and experienced council employees with cheap, contracted-out, strim-and-who-cares, privatised "services" killed perhaps 10% of urban trees. Sorry - don't remember where I read that :sad:.]

No, actually I planted lettuce around it one year, then wild flowers the next.

It looked cool a few years ago. Sad to see it go if it does, but allows me to put in a seating area and heating.

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
"Bend some of the smaller branches to see if they snap. If they break quickly without arching, the branch is dead."

Did this last year, snapped immediately. I'll take some bark off the trunk and see.

Top Bottom