Is this tree dead?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Thanks to trending threads on cc, even if it's dead, it still has uses:

Chain a bicycle to it or make a bicycle out of it.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
What if I hacked off all the lower branches, encouraged some height?
Looks to me as though while it’s alive it’s last legs.

If you prune hard as suggested you’re likely to only encourage strong, sappy growth (I know these as water shoots) which will not flower or therefore fruit.

If you want to try pruning clean out any obviously deadwood, clear the centre to allow the bottom five branches to form an open goblet shape. Clear out any crossing higher growth and shorten remaining to a reasonable height.

Personally I’d cut my losses and dig it out. This would take two year’s pruning and negotiating with SWMBO.

sight-pin

Veteran
Years ago my elderly neighbour next door ask me to cut down her old apple tree, I cut the top branches off standing on a pair of steps and just left the main trunk which was about 6' high, Climbed down, lit a fag whilst leaning on the the trunk and wallop! both fell over with crack. The bottom of the tree was riddled with bloody woodlice.

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
Some trimming today...

IMG_9287.JPG

Not looking good at the base, and under bark
IMG_9289.JPG

classic33

Leg End Member
Possible fungus that will kill it, and spread to nearby trees.

The knobbly bits on the third picture on the top row look like canker. This is a fungal infection that will eat through the branch and eventually cause it to drop off. The damage at the bottom looks pretty serious and I would guess is likely to finish the tree off. If you don't have any other trees and you don't intend having any more you could see what it does over the summer but it doesn't look as though it has a long term future. Now that Miss Goodbody has been retired I feel safe in recommending you prepare to get your chopper out. :smile:

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
And the others if still there?

I discovered that my neighbours huge overhanging tree is also pretty much dead, the cover of several metric tons of ivy had masked the fact. If it is a fungal thing I think all the trees around have had it for ages.

I removed some of the neighbours overhanging branches last year but I can’t reach the heavier ones yet.

Top Bottom