Is this what "news" is now?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
I saw about 10 or more links to articles discussing the so-called reality TV series "The Batchelor" in news.com.au, The Age and the Herald Sun, 3 of my local papers. These newspapers have turned into gossip magazines! :rolleyes: (No, I didn't read any of the above-mentioned articles, just did my best to ignore them)

They then compound this farce by repeating links to the same article within the same web page, so if you removed these redundant links, the actual content of the page would be noticeably less.

The above combined with very poor editing (spelling and grammatical mistakes are common) makes me despair of finding any source of news that's worth reading.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
I used to listen to BBC radio 5 live all the time. Their remit is news and sport.
I pulled the plug whe they started repeatedly reporting on X factor and come dancing, neither news or sport.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I'm not a great lover of all this celeb thingy. Mostly because I've never heard of them.
Thank God for that. I thought it was just me.
Waiting for Hubster to finish a hospital appointment I picked up a 'hello' magazine in the hospital waiting room and I had no idea who anyone was. The lady next to me had a better idea than I had. I pointed out that I should get out a bit more and she said not to bother as she thought that I was fine as I was. She knows the slebs as her daughter is 'into them bigtime'. Half of the slebs are bright orange anyway. They look like tall, skinny Oompa Loompas.

Joshua Plumtree

Approaching perfection from a distance.
A slight aside. Happened to catch about 10 minutes of Eastenders during the week for the first time since that Bradley fella threw himself off a tall building for some reason when he hadn't even committed a crime! :ohmy:

What a complete pile of dung! Four people sat on a landing together looking glum, then someone runs over and kills a dog at 2mph, followed by some loopy woman wielding a toy gun.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Glad others feel the same. I hardly watch TV these days either because it just seems to be x-factor type shows, celebrity big brothers, cooking, or something to do with properties. Between that and the soaps there is very little left that I watch. The odd crime drama here and there or some of the nature/wildlife programmes seems to be my lot these days.

I think if I met any of these celebs in the street I wouldn't even recognise them.

Arch

Married to Night Train
I tend to watch the news on the BBC, about 6 minutes behind it's start time and then I can FF through the reality tv/sleb bits that I have no interest in.

I don't remember seeing much celeb/reality tv stuff on the main BBC news, when I happen to see it. Sport on the other hand, seems to be terribly important to some people.

Newspapers on the other hand are full of the crap.

I quite like looking at the covers of the gossip magazines while I'm queueing at the checkout in the supermarket. I only have the faintest idea who half the headlines are about, but the wording and insignificance of it all makes me laugh. And feel superior....

Cycleops

Legendary Member
All you need now s a boob job and half a brain to be a celeb, while the boys have enough tattoos cover an advertising hoarding.

tyred

Legendary Member
I've given up watching news. If it is going to affect me directly, I will hear about it anyway. The rest is either sadly depressing about the state of the world or celeb bullshit that I don't want to hear about.

I leafed through a copy of the Daily Mirror that was sitting in a cafe one day when I went in for a bite to eat. I know the Mirror isn't a "serious" newspaper but even so, there wasn't a single thing in it that I would have considered newsworthy. I had finished with it in about 2 minutes flat, most of that time spent on the cartoon page :smile: I cannot for the life of me work out why people still buy newspapers.

the_mikey

Legendary Member
Glad others feel the same. I hardly watch TV these days either because it just seems to be x-factor type shows, celebrity big brothers, cooking, or something to do with properties. Between that and the soaps there is very little left that I watch. The odd crime drama here and there or some of the nature/wildlife programmes seems to be my lot these days.

I think if I met any of these celebs in the street I wouldn't even recognise them.

I was at Manchester Piccadilly station last weekend and a person on the platform was causing the people around me to hyperventilate , screech and start taking selfies with this person in shot. I had no idea who it was. :headshake:

Celebs can be fun. I was (coincidently) standing with @vickster when she was returning some shopping, and they had OK on the counter.
zjxzz0xp4j4px04x.jpg

Kim Kardashian looks like a grey alien

Grey_Alien2.jpg

Top Bottom