Is this what "news" is now?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nappadang

Über Member
I'm not a fan of X-factor etc but the real news is so bloody depressing at the moment. I'd take Simon Cowell news all day rather than what we woke up to this morning.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
...apart from Tulusa. How is she these days?
Washing her dress I shouldn't wonder. Those white marks are the devil to remove.

OP
OP
Shut Up Legs

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
cancel your TV licence
and watch commercially purchased DVD movies of your choice

BLISS
I don't have a TV licence (is that one of those pay-TV things?), and can't recall the last time I watched TV channels regularly (years ago, now). As you suggested, I just watch DVDs instead.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
When I travelled for a year round NZ and Australia, the two things I really missed were British pubs and British newspapers. By which, needless to say, I meant broadsheets, not tabs. In most of NZ, the average front page headliner is something about wool prices; world news appears as 1/3 of p11 - a collection of two-sentence paragraphs about what Them Out There have been up to. I buy a Guardian on a Saturday and it keeps me company through the week. If I didn't get it, I'd really miss it. And no, I can't tell a sleb from a bucket of porridge.

Joshua Plumtree

Approaching perfection from a distance.
In the 1970's our goalie was Kevin Keelan. He was infamous for hating to sign autographs and would invariably arrive two hours early on match days to avoid the fans! My mates cottoned on to this and would catch the 10.30 train just for the opportunity to get his autograph, even if it meant hanging around in Norwich waiting hours for the 3pm KO.

Even then, I thought they were nuts! :ohmy:

If you're a footballer, entertain me on the pitch,
If you're an actor/actress, give me a great performance,
If you're a poet, write some fantastic poems,
If you're a musician, show me now well you can play,

Other than that (and please don't take any offence) don't expect me to take any interest in you or your life - I've quite literally got better things to do with my time! (cycling for instance :thumbsup:).

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
...and if you are a performer, don't expect me to participate and do not encourage people around me to join in or stand up since I've paid for this very expensive comfy seat and I've paid you a lot of my hard earned money to entertain me so get on with it.

hoopdriver

Guru
Like others here, I have no idea who any if these people are and wouldn't know them if they stepped into the room. It is obscene how these nobodies are showered with millions of pounds for...what?

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I used to listen to BBC radio 5 live all the time. Their remit is news and sport.
I pulled the plug whe they started repeatedly reporting on X factor and come dancing, neither news or sport.

I tend to listen to either Radio4 or 6music, and their news editors are no strangers to reporting the latest reality TV news... no, it's not news and reporting it 'as news' only belittles them.

Maybe a letter to Points of View is in order? I'll be 'Disgruntled from Lancaster'.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
World Service News is still pretty good, ime. I get their daily round up in podcast form.

As for nothing on the telly, a chacun son gout and all that, but even among the hours of X-Factor alikes and soaps, there's enough to keep me happy - recorded to the PVR and watched at my leisure.

(I could stand to see a bit more cricket, mind).

Top Bottom