Is this why we always have toast and cornflakes for breakfast?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
I must have a hedonistic ham sandwich for lunch tomorrow

simongt

Guru
Interesting study, as many of the folk I know 'can't eat' breakfast 'at that time in the morning'. Generally translated as 'I'd rather spend an extra half hour in bed', or 'I can't be faffed with the preparation.' :whistle:
However, the same folk, if a full English is put in front of them, away they go, knife & fork at full speed - ! :laugh:

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I can certainly do a full English/ Scottish etc with gusto from about 9/10 am onwards! 6am, not so much.

I agree it's more about the prep, we're all busy at that time of the morning and who has time for "hedonistic" eggs benedict with wilted spinach at 6am? It's a bit of toast and a cup of tea at that time of the morning, because that's what you have time for. No other reason.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I have porridge every morning made with pinhead oatmeal. If away from home I sometimes have pease meal brose.
I used to have a full heart attack breakfast on Sunday morning before going out cycling but not for a few years now as cannot be bothered and it was also a kind of social time with my wife. Now on my own there is no point in having a sit down meal.

Most mornings porridge made with dried fruit, diced dates, blueberries, dried ginger pieces all topped with strawberries. Delicious and never tire of it.

Occasionally scrambled egg with smoked salmon and, very occasionally in cafes or hotels, a full English.

Gunk

Guru
It’s a very interesting point. Some breakfasts such as porridge or cornflakes almost seem to be a punishment.

I’d much rather have a Pain Au Raisin or a nice Portuguese custard tart to start my day, instead I punish myself with two slices of toast and marmalade

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
Most mornings porridge made with dried fruit, diced dates, blueberries, dried ginger pieces all topped with strawberries. Delicious and never tire of it.

Occasionally scrambled egg with smoked salmon and, very occasionally in cafes or hotels, a full English.

A great little treat and my usual Christmas morning breakfast.

After 26 years at sea and a galley full of chefs doing the work I can say my favourites are,

- kedgeree,
- eggs benedict,
- sirloin steak topped with runny fried eggs,
- Deviled kidneys.

Oh, did I mention kedgeree?

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Scott's porridge oats with some semi-skimmed milk cooked for three and a half minutes on High in the microwave. Once in a blue moon, I add some honey but the stickiness penalty in the kitchen rarely makes it worth the trouble. (No! Don't suggest the vile squirtable stuff.)
With 600ml of freshly ground cafetiere coffee.

Personally, I think that a Full English is faintly barbaric, especially with beans.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
It might be a utilitarian meal but I enjoy a leisurely breakfast. I like a huge pot of tea possibly with extra water added while I slowly eat my museli, fruit and yoghurt. I have a second course of fresh grapefruit. All of this while reading a novel.

When I was able to cycle I'd generally go out for a ride after the first course then come back to the grapefruit and more tea.

Mostly home-made granola then toast and marmalade.

Weekends might be scrambled eggs on toast with either smoked salmon or crispy bacon.

Special treat, I'm with @Salty seadog for the kedgeree vote

edit: Oh, and not forgetting the glass of V8 juice first and a coffee from the espresso machine after

Last edited:
Top Bottom