Is this why we always have toast and cornflakes for breakfast?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
At home most days, 2 fried eggs on a slice of wholegrain bread, fresh ground white pepper, plenty salt. Some days when feeling daring a blob of HP sauce or a squirting of Nando's Peri-Peri (Hot).
Weekends one of either Frittata, Shakshuka, or Fried eggs with Courgette and Capers. Double espresso with Pastis in the summer or Spanish Brandy (+/- Ginger wine) in the colder months.

Travelling - all sorts, from the 'full Irish' through 'Continentals' to the madness of the full Turkish/middle-eastern choice-fest. Occasionally washed-down with a glass of Champagne....

A good, long, slow, breakfast is one of life's great pleasures :-)

mpemburn

I cook breakfast every morning for my wife and I. Pretty much the same routine every week: M-F it's oatmeal with fresh (or frozen if unavoidable) fruit, nuts and plain yogurt. Saturdays, poached eggs, sausages, and home fries (potatoes). Sundays, blueberry buckwheat pancakes and bacon.

I heard once that you become more entrenched in your routines as you get older, and I'd have to say our pattern bears this out. We still enjoy our breakfasts, as predictable as they may be.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Workday morning its either granola, porridge/ overnight oats or mini filled shredded wheats mug of tea and glass of juice.

Weekend may be more ambitious and served with fresh coffee - bacon sarnie if out cycling or mid morning scrambled eggs on toast if playing hockey in the afternoon

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Scott's porridge oats with some semi-skimmed milk cooked for three and a half minutes on High in the microwave. Once in a blue moon, I add some honey but the stickiness penalty in the kitchen rarely makes it worth the trouble. (No! Don't suggest the vile squirtable stuff.)
With 600ml of freshly ground cafetiere coffee.

Personally, I think that a Full English is faintly barbaric, especially with beans.
You are dead right about the beans.

I can enjoy a late Sunday morning big cooked breakfast at home but I just cant do brunch out . You have to dress up in a nice frock and look cool as you swap risque relationship tales with your three best girlfriends. Not for me.
Most people really like having the exact same thing every morning, it takes the decision making out of your routine.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I can enjoy a late Sunday morning big cooked breakfast at home but I just cant do brunch out . You have to dress up in a nice frock and look cool as you swap risque relationship tales with your three best girlfriends. Not for me.
Most people really like having the exact same thing every morning, it takes the decision making out of your routine.
I agree about the routine but a frock would not suit me a my age.:laugh:

Rusty Nails

We remember
A great little treat and my usual Christmas morning breakfast.

After 26 years at sea and a galley full of chefs doing the work I can say my favourites are,

- kedgeree,
- eggs benedict,
- sirloin steak topped with runny fried eggs,
- Deviled kidneys.

Oh, did I mention kedgeree?
My wife makes a great kedgeree, but oddly we never have it for breakfast.

keithmac

Guru
I don't eat breakfast, never have (up early enough to make it, daughter gets up at 6am like clockwork :laugh:).

I do like a good Full English but for Lunch or Tea.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Interesting study, as many of the folk I know 'can't eat' breakfast 'at that time in the morning'. Generally translated as 'I'd rather spend an extra half hour in bed', or 'I can't be faffed with the preparation.' :whistle:
However, the same folk, if a full English is put in front of them, away they go, knife & fork at full speed - ! :laugh:
on earlies brekkie eaten by 4,10 am and on the bike for 4.20 i cant understand it

simongt

Guru
Or on a Saturday morning at around 09.30h. ish, the queue of Uber Eat type couriers waiting outside a MacDonalds in the city waiting to collect their customers Big Mac brekkys - ! :rofl:

Gunk

Guru
I don't eat breakfast, never have (up early enough to make it, daughter gets up at 6am like clockwork :laugh:).

I do like a good Full English but for Lunch or Tea.

You can’t be a proper biker and not love a decent cooked breakfast, sort yourself out man.

stephec

Legendary Member
Two poached eggs on toast for me every morning, sometimes there's a couple of sausages thrown in, at weekends they're always thrown in with hash browns as well.

Travelling early for work and McDonald's or Greggs do a job, and if in a hotel then it's a full jobbie.

Top Bottom