Is this worth Buying??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AuroraSaab

Veteran
Yes in the case of my MTB the "not very good at writing ads/taking photos" worked to my advantage. It was a very genuine seller, but the ad was so bad that nobody else bothered to enquire and I got a bargain :laugh: (I almost didn't bother myself). With a well-written ad and good photos they could have got at least £100 more.

Great result. There were no bids on the £30 ebay bike I bought as it needed repair and was described as unrideable. When it wouldn't go in the back of the car OH said he'd push it back to our house. I was surprised to find him arriving just after me having ridden it home.

I think with buying used bikes you just have to be patient and not too fussy. I bought a Gumtree bike, a Giant tcr carbon road bike for £200, from a triathlon guy. Bit scratched and he'd changed a few bits. It wouldn't appeal to purists but it's great bike for the money. Wasted on me really.

I'd also advise taking someone with you, whether it's a shop sale or ebay etc. It's easy to get excited at buying something and overlook faults or red flags that a companion might spot.

alex_cycles

Veteran
The cash can be because the seller doesn’t want the buyer disappearing into the ether with the bike to find a cheque has bounced or PayPal gets reversed etc.
Cash on collection is the only way to go in my opinion. I would never buy an expensive used item without inspecting it first, and cash on collection gives you an out if it doesn't measure up.

OP
OP
huggybear0

huggybear0

Über Member
Hi do any of you guys have any experience with Holdsworth bikes. New ones I mean. They are now owned by Planet X. I have been offered a Holdsworth Competition 2017 model. It’s a steel frame,
Group set: Shimano 105 11-speed (50-34 / 11-32 cassette)
Wheels: Fulcrum Racing Quattro
Bar and Stem: FSA

Asking 600.

Thanks

T4tomo

Legendary Member
'cos that the best colour. it also came in a dull grey i think.

your search seems to have a scatter gun approach, but if you are after a quality steel frames bike with modern components then you wont go far wrong with the Holdsworth. It came with full Ultegra group set and a decent set of hoops and the frame is triple butted columbus steel. Planet X make really good value decent bikes. The Holdsworth brand has a lot of tradition and nostaglia.

at some point you need to poop or get off the pot.

fraz101

I have had an online chat with Planet X they were very helpful. I have decided to leave carbon frames and I am going to stick with steel / Alu. I think it’s my best bet for now. If in the future I become the next Chris Hoy 😂 I can then look at carbon but I am sure a steel will suit my needs.
Why do you no longer want carbon?

Purely cost?

OP
OP
huggybear0

huggybear0

Über Member
What was wrong with the Allez?
I am still going to see that, the guy is not available until Thursday.

But then in the meantime, someone offered me the Holdsworth that I had previously inquired about hence the question since my research did not bring up much about the bike and being a UK bike cannot be checked on bluebook.

OP
OP
huggybear0

huggybear0

Über Member
Why do you no longer want carbon?

Purely cost?
Because i was told that the guarantee is only available to the original owner and I was advised that if buying a second hand carbon it would need to be examined since a chip/hairline crack which is hard to see could have resulted if dropped or crashed. This just made me think maybe stick with a steel one for now

vickster

Legendary Member
I am still going to see that, the guy is not available until Thursday.

But then in the meantime, someone offered me the Holdsworth that I had previously inquired about hence the question since my research did not bring up much about the bike and being a UK bike cannot be checked on bluebook.
What do you need to know? It's a second hand bike. Buy on history, condition and how you feel about the seller in discussions.
(don't know what the bluebook is). Original specs at least for common models can be found on thebikelist.co.uk

Top Bottom