Isherwood Road into Birch Road, Carrington - right of way?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Google's plotted a route to somewhere I want to go and it takes me down Isherwood Road and into Birch Road. I followed it on StreetView and find that there is a barrier and "keep out" signs.

I imagine it's because the Manchester United playing fields are on that road.

Does anyone know whether I can ignore the barrier and cycle on the route Google plotted?

ta

https://goo.gl/maps/4G2kdxiypkk

KEEF

Veteran
Looking at the google images I would say NO. It looks to be CCTV monitored as well you could be in some trouble with some blokes in red shirts.

Siclo

Veteran
You'll be fine, it's a regular route of mine, they did try to stop access a couple of years ago when they re-surfaced the southern end but caved in after a local outcry, there's room to pass the barrier but if security see you coming they'll usually raise it for you.

EDIT: It's pretty popular https://www.strava.com/segments/14301218

Last edited:
OP
OP
MossCommuter
You'll be fine, it's a regular route of mine, they did try to stop access a couple of years ago when they re-surfaced the southern end but caved in after a local outcry, there's room to pass the barrier but if security see you coming they'll usually raise it for you.
Thanks!

Siclo

Veteran
Additionally Ashton Road is rideable along it's length on semi-slicks but does get very mucky in the wet, Woodcote Road/Ashton Road is an alternative way to get on to Sinderland and I believe there's now a cyclist friendly cafe at the stables. The one to avoid is Brookheys Road as the cattery folk get very excited about it's use.

OP
OP
MossCommuter
It's fine to do that and now, towards the Sinderland Road end, it's been resurfaced specifically for bikes.
Excellent. I am going to a cremation and the weather might be hot so I might be as well to take the bus so as to remain presentable but, still, that's useful to know for the future.

Top Bottom