Isla bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Puddles

Do I need to get the spray plaster out?
the 26" Beinn Small in particular

Can they take a pounding... they look very road like and we do not do a lot of road, we do a lot of country park and gravel type paths....

Need to change Squidge's hideous heavy Trax thing for something lighter and better quality but the Isla bikes do look a bit spindly in the tyre department or is that just me looking at them and eeeking for no reason?

Last edited:

screenman

Legendary Member
I would say that is just you, have a look at second hand prices and you will see what good quality they are.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I don't see any reason why it shouldn't be fine. The Beinn is intended for mountain biking so should cope with any rough and tumble.

Yes, the tyres are narrow ones compared to most mountain bikes but are Kenda Small Block 8 which is widely regarded as a very good tyre, particularly on gravel/hard packed earth. The fact they've specced the 1.5 inch width version should mean that it'll roll easier for little legs.:thumbsup:

trampyjoe

Was listening to people chatting about this bike today .. apparently it rolls really well on the standard tyres (pulls away from other bikes whilst freewheeling) and sticking some knobbly ones on makes it great for off road.

Definitely worth a look IMO

OP
OP
Puddles

Puddles

Thank you all, I shall definately be peering there are quite a number at the school and even a couple at the pre-school teeny tiny Islabikes :smile: so cute!

Yes I have seen the 2nd hand ones, was peering at one on e-bay and it is up to £180 already with still 9 days left! As they are only £350 new they obviously old re-sale value well!

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Thank you all, I shall definately be peering there are quite a number at the school and even a couple at the pre-school teeny tiny Islabikes :smile: so cute!

Yes I have seen the 2nd hand ones, was peering at one on e-bay and it is up to £180 already with still 9 days left! As they are only £350 new they obviously old re-sale value well!
It shows that Isla has got the concept pretty much right. She's designed bikes that are just like the one mum/dad has, but properly scaled down (small brake levers for small hands for example).

lukesdad

Bikes are great can't fault the one we ve got, pity they skimp on the paint job.

hatler

Guru
Can Islabikes take a pounding ?

My experience is a resounding yes. And that extends to two Beinn 20s and one Beinn 26 used over a number of years on bridleways around and on the South Downs Way. All have seen off more than one child. One of the 20s is now on its fourth nipper and is currently doing daily runs to school along a muddy bridleway.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Youngest has a Beinn 20L.

He's throwing it round the trails at Sherwood Pines most weekends, and with the exception of a couple of minor stone chips on the forks it's been perfect. We've just swapped the std Kenda small block tyre (which were fine in dry summer conditions) for a set of knobbly Continentals more suited for muddy wet stuff.

SamR

Rider on the Lancastrian storm
I used to own an '07 Beinn 26, that thing was bulletproof, I swear. Although it had no suspension it still performed as well as any other MTB as well as being very light and easy to move around. The 5 years I owned it I only had one problem, the derailleur hanger got bent, I think after I fell off it, and even then it was £3 delivered for 2 extra hangers. It only got sold because it was too small and the guy it got sold to seems to be loving it as well.

OP
OP
Puddles

Puddles

We went for the frog in the end too many lbs were pro-frog in the frog v isla stakes... so we pick it up tomorrow, Squidge went and got sized for it today although we are being mean told him Nana was getting it for his cousin Thomas... looks like the deception was successful as he was very pruney faced and green eyed about it all!

Top Bottom