Islabikes -very hard to change to the lowest gear. Adjustment issue?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
My grandson said he never uses the lowest gear cause it's too hard to shift to it, so I took a look at it and the rest of the gears are OK. I tried loosening the cable tension a little but then the chain won't shift to the top cog.

This is the latest model of the bike

Thanks in advance for any suggestions :-)

Tim Hall

To change to the lowest gear (largest sprocket at the rear) in nearly all cases you apply tension to the gear cable. (There's a couple of oddball mechs that work the other way), so you need to be tightening not loosening the cable. Look at the L limit screw on the mech, as it could be that this is stopping the mech moving over far enough.

OP
OP
Spoked Wheels

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
To change to the lowest gear (largest sprocket at the rear) in nearly all cases you apply tension to the gear cable. (There's a couple of oddball mechs that work the other way), so you need to be tightening not loosening the cable. Look at the L limit screw on the mech, as it could be that this is stopping the mech moving over far enough.
That's what I thought. The limit screw in question is at its max.
I noticed that this bike uses a pretty long cage rear derailleur to handle the 32T cassette so when the chain is on the lowest cog it's also uncomfortably close to the spokes...

iluvmybike

Über Member
That's what I thought. The limit screw in question is at its max.
I noticed that this bike uses a pretty long cage rear derailleur to handle the 32T cassette so when the chain is on the lowest cog it's also uncomfortably close to the spokes...
If it is too close to the spokes then perhaps the gear hanger or rd is bent - often happens on kids bikes as they have a tendency to just chuck them down any old how. So check the alignment of that first then set the limiters

OP
OP
Spoked Wheels

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
If it is too close to the spokes then perhaps the gear hanger or rd is bent - often happens on kids bikes as they have a tendency to just chuck them down any old how. So check the alignment of that first then set the limiters

I don't have a tool to check the alignment so probably I'll need to take it to the bike shop

Tim Hall

I don't have a tool to check the alignment so probably I'll need to take it to the bike shop
Got another wheel? Screw the axle into the rear mech hanger on the Isla bike. Check the distance between the two rims at different points on the circumference. But it's probably quicker and easier to go to the shop.

Top Bottom