Isle of Man TT course, cycling.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Ferry booked from Liverpool and Hotel booked for 2 nights. Doing the TT course on March 11th with a few others. I believe some gradients on the Snaefell Mountain are 14%. Not sure how my old legs will cope with that. Will take my Cube Peloton for that as the granny gear is 30x32.
Meanwhile, our wives will sample the delights of Douglas until our returns.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Take your time on it - some parts are exposed but you should be fine.

D

Deleted member 23692

It's not that bad. I did it clockwise from the start/finish line in Douglas ands it is a really good ride with plenty of good views and interests along the way. Although its on single carriageway main roads the locals must be very used to cycle traffic and everyone was patient and gave good room when passing.

Whilst leaving Snaefell till last may seem a tad daft, you benefit from the effortless 7 mile downhill all the way back to Douglas.... stopping for a swift celebratory pint in the Creg-Ny-Baa on the way down.

The steepest bit is the up to, and just beyond, the Ramsey Hairpin, so a coffee stop in Ramsey is worth doing for a quick breather before tackling it. It's just a mile to suffer :smile:

At 14 miles into the ride, The Mitre at Kirk Michael is recommended for a lunch stop (fine food and ale).

....ooh, and Windy Corner on the way down off Snaefell is well named, so keep a firm grip on th bars!

Sharky

Guru
It's been 50 years since I rode round the circuit. Still have fond memories of it and the whole of the cycle week that year.

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
The course is fine.
Longest climb is from Ramsey to Brandywell. Steepest bit is between the Hairpin and Guthrie's Memorial.
My major concern would not be the course, but the traffic and some of the idiot wannabe TT racers.
I've done many hundreds of laps of the TT course over the years - the safest I ever felt on it was during a race. ;)

Ferry booked from Liverpool and Hotel booked for 2 nights. Doing the TT course on March 11th with a few others. I believe some gradients on the Snaefell Mountain are 14%. Not sure how my old legs will cope with that. Will take my Cube Peloton for that as the granny gear is 30x32.
Meanwhile, our wives will sample the delights of Douglas until our returns.

I hope Douglas will be able to satisfy them all!

Levo-Lon

Guru
Take a Fireblade, sorted

pjd57

Veteran
Only 37 miles , according to Wikipedia.

No idea why but I thought it would be much longer.

Arran is a great island to cycle round.
55 miles with some climbing.

For those looking for more their is a figure of 8 route, up over the centre twice must be hard going.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I have never been to the Isle of Man but I would like to go there for a cycling and walking holiday one day.

Arran is a great island to cycle round.
55 miles with some climbing.

For those looking for more their is a figure of 8 route, up over the centre twice must be hard going.
Sounds great!

I still intend to do the full circuit of Mull. I have done the bottom half twice. It is probably going to be some time before I am up there again though ...

Top Bottom