Isle of Man

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fullcycle

Hi all,

I am interested in planning a circular route around the isle of man and was wondering if anybody had any advice in regards to some of the questions I have :smile:

Are there any members on here that have done anything similar or any cycling on the island full stop

I have had a search around on the net and can find smaller circular routes within the island itself but nothing that goes round all of it - failing this I will just keep the sea to my left and I should be ok :laugh:

I know I would have to catch the ferry from heysham - has anyone been on this before with their bikes? Are they easy to store and is there a way of getting any cheap bookings in adavance?

As always many thanks in advance for any advice shared :notworthy:

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Can't help ... yet. My 12yo is racing there next month in the IoM Youth Tour but we're going by car.

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Hi Dirk ,

I was looking at heading over towards August time :smile:
Be aware that there are an awful lot of events on in the Isle of Man, many involving motorsports eg. TT, MGP, Manx Rally, Southern 100 etc which take place from July to September. Roads can get very busy at times. I would avoid going at the end of August (MGP]
Best to check online to see which events are taking place when you intend to go.
Personally, if I was going for a cycling holiday, I'd probably consider April/early May or late September/early October.

OP
OP
fullcycle

fullcycle

Be aware that there are an awful lot of events on in the Isle of Man, many involving motorsports eg. TT, MGP, Manx Rally, Southern 100 etc which take place from July to September. Roads can get very busy at times. I would avoid going at the end of August (MGP]
Best to check online to see which events are taking place when you intend to go.
Personally, if I was going for a cycling holiday, I'd probably consider April/early May or late September/early October.

Thanks for the heads up, I will see what is planned online but can always postpone it until late September if need be :smile:

snorri

Legendary Member
I enjoyed three days on the Isle of Man on a stopover between Dublin and Liverpool at the end of June in 2005, I found accommodation in Douglas and did day tours from there. My tour diary mentions high volumes of car traffic and some concerns re inconsiderate driving, but also a pat on the back to the motor cyclists who caused me no concerns:smile:

Last edited:
OP
OP
fullcycle

fullcycle

Have done a bit more searching online and found the below in regards to a circular route

http://www.cycle-route.com/routes/Douglas_to_Douglas-Cycle-Route-3269.html

https://www.routeyou.com/en-gb/route/view/174580/cycle-route/round-the-isle-of-mann

Seems distance wise it's around 75 miles give or take depending on the route, is this easily attemptible in a day as some of the areas in mountains look to have some sharp inclines

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Seems distance wise it's around 75 miles give or take depending on the route, is this easily attemptible in a day as some of the areas in mountains look to have some sharp inclines
You can certainly attempt it ...

Whether you can achieve it is another matter! :laugh:

More seriously though - the fact that you are asking the question suggests that you haven't done that kind of thing before. Lots of us regularly do rides harder than that, but if you haven't ridden a lot of hills or that distance before then it might be a big step up. What kind of rides do you normally do?

OP
OP
fullcycle

fullcycle

You can certainly attempt it ...

Whether you can achieve it is another matter! :laugh:

More seriously though - the fact that you are asking the question suggests that you haven't done that kind of thing before. Lots of us regularly do rides harder than that, but if you haven't ridden a lot of hills or that distance before then it might be a big step up. What kind of rides do you normally do?

Hi Colin :smile:

If I'm normally out in the summer my rides are between 30 and 50 depending on how time dictates
I've done between 60 and 70 in a day on quite a few occasions, on the ride I did from Birmingham to Blackpool I did in two days of a 76 and 73 miles, I didn't ride for time and including my rest stops I was at my required destination each day within just under 8 hours

I'm a little out of practice at the moment but will of had a lot more time in the saddle within the coming months - I keep myself in shape at the gym and do alot of running through the winter so this should not take to long

I was a bit more cautious with the isle of man in mind as my knowledge of the Ireland is that it has numerous mountainous parts which could become a bit stamina sapping over the course of the day :smile:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I just downloaded the GPX file of the second version of the route. You have that one big climb in the first half, then an easy 80 km which is mainly downhill or flattish, then you have a lumpy finish. There seem to be a few short stretches which are quite steep but not stupidly so. I reckon you will be fine if you pace yourself and eat and drink enough.

I have never thought of visiting the Isle of Man, but it actually looks quite interesting. I might take a break there myself some day!

OP
OP
fullcycle

fullcycle

I just downloaded the GPX file of the second version of the route. You have that one big climb in the first half, then an easy 80 km which is mainly downhill or flattish, then you have a lumpy finish. There seem to be a few short stretches which are quite steep but not stupidly so. I reckon you will be fine if you pace yourself and eat and drink enough.

I have never thought of visiting the Isle of Man, but it actually looks quite interesting. I might take a break there myself some day!

That's great many thanks for the info :smile:

The ferry crossing times are quite obliging and leave you with plenty of time to get round with incorporated rest stops and still able to make the return

It does seem an interesting and unspoiled place I will be sure to take plenty of pictures when I'm there :smile:

Top Bottom