Isle of Man

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
fullcycle

fullcycle

£46 for a return ferry trip as a pedestrian is a bit more than I expected! I couldn't see any mention of bicycles - do they allow them on free of charge?

I thought the same myself ! Very pricey indeed and you have to pay more of you want a cabin seat. As far as I know there is no charge for bikes but I will give them a call to confirm what the process is

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
I thought the same myself ! Very pricey indeed and you have to pay more of you want a cabin seat. As far as I know there is no charge for bikes but I will give them a call to confirm what the process is
Isle of Man Steam Racket Company always were rip off merchants.
I used to have to pay close on £1000 for a van and caravan when I was competing at the TT in the 90s!
I could take the same vehicle to Ireland for the Ulster GP for less than £200.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
From what I gather, they haven't changed - and they still want payment up front 3 months in advance!
I was quite impressed by the CalMac ferries that I caught in Scotland. £6.90 return from Oban to Mull was reasonable. I thought the IoM might be more like £20-25, but double that does seem steep!

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
I was quite impressed by the CalMac ferries that I caught in Scotland. £6.90 return from Oban to Mull was reasonable. I thought the IoM might be more like £20-25, but double that does seem steep!
I've just checked the ferry prices for the TT.
If I booked in the van that I used to run, they are quoting £1996 return.
That's without a caravan; which would add around £800.
As I said, they are utter rip off merchants.

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
:eek:

Or should that be ... :eek::wacko::banghead::cursing:
Exactly!
And they've got you by the short and curlies - no other competition.
Their attitude has always been 'take it or leave it'.

That's great many thanks for the info :smile:

The ferry crossing times are quite obliging and leave you with plenty of time to get round with incorporated rest stops and still able to make the return

It does seem an interesting and unspoiled place I will be sure to take plenty of pictures when I'm there :smile:
Back in 2013 I thought I would fly over for the TT and take my bike. I had been there many times before but on my motorbike so I thought it would make a change.
On arrival at the airport in Ronaldsway I collected my bike and then re inflating the tyres a valve blew out. An airport security fella offered to help me and even offered me the use of a motorbike for a week. That's a great example of the hospitality Manx people show you.
I was staying at my usual place in Douglas so I set off for it and boy did I then realise how hilly the Island is. After that the furthest I cycled was over to Castletown and I viewed the races close to where I was staying. But having said that if you have the energy I would recommend it for a cycling holiday as there are many great quiet lanes and places to visit.
I think its a fair point made about avoiding the TT but in my experience these days the police ensure that the roads are safe to use for everyone..

:eek:

Or should that be ... :eek::wacko::banghead::cursing:
Colin I had booked for this years TT but decided to sell the ticket as for the cost of the ferry I can pay for a week ends stay in Dijon for a classic motorcycle meeting.
Some justify the cost because its free to watch the racing but truth be told a lot of good viewing places now charge and café etc prices are definitely hiked up during TT fortnight.

shirokazan

Veteran
Went there for a long weekend in April 2012. I thought it was great! The ferry (from Liverpool) was about £50 return with no charge for my bicycle. Excellent roads. But remember that it's abroad as far as mobile phones go!

OP
OP
fullcycle

fullcycle

Went there for a long weekend in April 2012. I thought it was great! The ferry (from Liverpool) was about £50 return with no charge for my bicycle. Excellent roads. But remember that it's abroad as far as mobile phones go!

Thanks for the info hopefully will be the same case from heysham I will get in touch with them this week to make sure :smile:

OP
OP
fullcycle

fullcycle

Back in 2013 I thought I would fly over for the TT and take my bike. I had been there many times before but on my motorbike so I thought it would make a change.
On arrival at the airport in Ronaldsway I collected my bike and then re inflating the tyres a valve blew out. An airport security fella offered to help me and even offered me the use of a motorbike for a week. That's a great example of the hospitality Manx people show you.
I was staying at my usual place in Douglas so I set off for it and boy did I then realise how hilly the Island is. After that the furthest I cycled was over to Castletown and I viewed the races close to where I was staying. But having said that if you have the energy I would recommend it for a cycling holiday as there are many great quiet lanes and places to visit.
I think its a fair point made about avoiding the TT but in my experience these days the police ensure that the roads are safe to use for everyone..

The scenery looks brilliant from the pictures I think I will definitely want to return to spend more time there after my first visit. My mom and step-dad spent a fortnights walking holiday there and they loved it

What are the exact dates for the TT races this year so I know to bear them in mind when picking a date

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
The TT is always the last week of May and the first week of June.
Over the years I've spent more than 18 months on the island, but haven't been there since 2000. Over 40 visits to date. First visit was in 1975.
Was only talking yesterday of maybe renting a place for 6 months there and revisiting my youth and racing days.
I've always said that I want my ashes to be scattered to the winds at the top of Snaefell.

Top Bottom