Isle of Man

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
fullcycle

fullcycle

I liken the look of the north of the island, looks quite rural with not too many roads would imagine it's a very peaceful place

OP
OP
fullcycle

fullcycle

Can imagine it's a very tranquil place. I'm looking forward to visiting and will plane to head back to spend some more time there at a later date

OP
OP
fullcycle

fullcycle

Good news with the bike situation on the ferry, I spoke with someone from the ferry company and bicycles are free of charge when accompanied by a fare paying foot passenger :smile:

Still ironing out what dates to go for but will hopefully have something booked up after this month's payday :smile:

irw

Quadricyclist
Mrs IRW and I went with bikes from Liverpool on the Seacat about 8/9 years ago- bikes were free, but IIRC we went on down the car ramp and were directed to tie our bikes up to some handy railings on the car deck. We didn't actually cycle around the island, but took the tent to Laxey for a few days. Highly recommend stopping off at the Great Laxey Wheel if you're into that sort of thing!

Ian

OP
OP
fullcycle

fullcycle

Mrs IRW and I went with bikes from Liverpool on the Seacat about 8/9 years ago- bikes were free, but IIRC we went on down the car ramp and were directed to tie our bikes up to some handy railings on the car deck. We didn't actually cycle around the island, but took the tent to Laxey for a few days. Highly recommend stopping off at the Great Laxey Wheel if you're into that sort of thing!

Ian

Hi Ian

Many thanks for the info, yes I will definitely look to check it out :smile:

My bike lives at my mum and dad's on the Isle of Man and that's where all my tours have started from. It's a gorgeous place when the sun comes out. There's a woman in a care home in Peel who remembers the last time it happened. Apparently, the god Manannan cloaks the island is a veil of mist to hide it from marauders. But you might get lucky.

As to what others have said, don't even think about coming over during TT. Everything is expensive and all accommodation is already booked up until the twenty-fifth century. As far as I know, the island doesn't get quite so rammed for the other racing events, but I'd avoid the place any time non-Manx motorcyclists are here in droves. The Manx lads know the roads and probably won't hit you. Stupidly fast riding is limited to the de-restricted roads where, in theory at least, light speed is legal. The rest of the place is perfect tootling fodder. Outside of event times and away from Douglas, the roads are certainly quieter than their equivalents in the UK.

Bikes are free on the ferry from both Heysham and Liverpool (or at least they were when I used them in September) but you're right about its being expensive. Another thing to consider: My UK Three phone doesn't work on the island. I'm not sure if that applies to other networks too but it's worth bearing in mind or checking out beforehand if connectivity matters to you. Regardless of the weather, a kipper bap on the front at Peel is lovely, as is a Davison's ice cream from the shop there. They have some great flavours. On the downside, beer is disproportionately expensive, especially in Douglas - close to London prices. Blame the bankers.

Years and years ago a mate and I did a complete loop of the island in a day - beforehand we calculated it as close to 100 miles, but this was in the days before the internet and so take that with a pinch of salt - and despite being young we couldn't walk for three days afterwards. But we weren't cycle-fit. You should be alright. The north is mostly flat but it's lumpy from Ramsay to the south. The stretch from Port Erin to Peel via the Sloc is a big hill (there is a lower route from Castletown to Peel via Foxdale but there are roadworks there at the moment). Speaking of the Port Erin to Peel route, I'm actually in the Isle of Man right now and did that route the other day. What stood out was that there wasn't a single shop or other business where I could get so much as a can or a Mars Bar on the entire 14 miles. So stock up well. Away from the towns, shops are few and far between.

All in all, it's a really, pretty place, especially with the right weather. And although it's as out-and-back detour from the round-island route, cycle to the Sound (the southern tip of the island) and see the seals. There's a nice, little cafe there too. You'll also go past Cregneash, an old, restored crofting village. It's well worth a look.

Have fun!

OP
OP
fullcycle

fullcycle

My bike lives at my mum and dad's on the Isle of Man and that's where all my tours have started from. It's a gorgeous place when the sun comes out. There's a woman in a care home in Peel who remembers the last time it happened. Apparently, the god Manannan cloaks the island is a veil of mist to hide it from marauders. But you might get lucky.

As to what others have said, don't even think about coming over during TT. Everything is expensive and all accommodation is already booked up until the twenty-fifth century. As far as I know, the island doesn't get quite so rammed for the other racing events, but I'd avoid the place any time non-Manx motorcyclists are here in droves. The Manx lads know the roads and probably won't hit you. Stupidly fast riding is limited to the de-restricted roads where, in theory at least, light speed is legal. The rest of the place is perfect tootling fodder. Outside of event times and away from Douglas, the roads are certainly quieter than their equivalents in the UK.

Bikes are free on the ferry from both Heysham and Liverpool (or at least they were when I used them in September) but you're right about its being expensive. Another thing to consider: My UK Three phone doesn't work on the island. I'm not sure if that applies to other networks too but it's worth bearing in mind or checking out beforehand if connectivity matters to you. Regardless of the weather, a kipper bap on the front at Peel is lovely, as is a Davison's ice cream from the shop there. They have some great flavours. On the downside, beer is disproportionately expensive, especially in Douglas - close to London prices. Blame the bankers.

Years and years ago a mate and I did a complete loop of the island in a day - beforehand we calculated it as close to 100 miles, but this was in the days before the internet and so take that with a pinch of salt - and despite being young we couldn't walk for three days afterwards. But we weren't cycle-fit. You should be alright. The north is mostly flat but it's lumpy from Ramsay to the south. The stretch from Port Erin to Peel via the Sloc is a big hill (there is a lower route from Castletown to Peel via Foxdale but there are roadworks there at the moment). Speaking of the Port Erin to Peel route, I'm actually in the Isle of Man right now and did that route the other day. What stood out was that there wasn't a single shop or other business where I could get so much as a can or a Mars Bar on the entire 14 miles. So stock up well. Away from the towns, shops are few and far between.

All in all, it's a really, pretty place, especially with the right weather. And although it's as out-and-back detour from the round-island route, cycle to the Sound (the southern tip of the island) and see the seals. There's a nice, little cafe there too. You'll also go past Cregneash, an old, restored crofting village. It's well worth a look.

Have fun!

Many thanks for the info I will bear it all in mind :smile:
I'm looking forward to visiting and hope to see as much as I can but will definitely be back at a later date for a longer stint to take more in :smile:

Hi fullcycle. I've just been playing around with my phone and if I connect to Sure (rather than Manx Telecom) I can get my Three account to work. Just thought you might like to know.

OP
OP
fullcycle

fullcycle

Hi fullcycle. I've just been playing around with my phone and if I connect to Sure (rather than Manx Telecom) I can get my Three account to work. Just thought you might like to know.

That is good news so that means there is a possibility we can use our phones for strava and GPS when we are there :smile:
Thank you again for the help :smile:

OP
OP
fullcycle

fullcycle

IMG-20170417-WA0001.jpeg
Did a bit off a reconisance ride today to check out the ferry port at heysham conditions were good and was quite an enjoyable ride

Top Bottom