Isle of Wight Randonnée - Sunday 1st May 2011

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hedgehoguk

Regular
Wind - I never said a word about the wind. I was having fun behind my windscreen although on closer inspection I did do some damage to one of my chain idlers but hey ho thats part of taking it out for a ride. Now I know why it sounded like a tractor coming home when I got off the ferry.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Well, in my humble opinion, based on trying to ride down the pier three years back...as the planks run down the pier rather than across, wheels get caught in the ruts unless you can ride very straight indeed, there's speed bumps (and apparently a 10 mph limit anyway, which is enforced even for cyclists). It was an awful experience on 40mm tyres, on 23mms it would have been terrifying. For the Randonnee (or just following the official round the Island route), it's off the route and three miles from the Wootton checkpoint. The twenty-five minutes you save in crossing time are wiped out by the bother of getting off the pier and back on track. Getting the car ferry's a much better option as far as I'm concerned- roll-on and off, a mile from the route, and it's cheaper to boot.

Might be an idea to go round again, I've not done the route clockwise. Thanks, I'll bear that in mind.

It's been resurfaced since you last went down it... The planks still run lengthways but gave no trouble to me on 28's. There is a radar speed check of some sort; it solemnly announced I was doing 12mph, didn't look to me like an average speed jobbie just a standard 'spot' speed meter.

For me the convenience of pompey harbour station outweighs nearly every other consideration. Friday, I just headed south/uphill until the etrex said I'd hit the route and then I turned right...

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
It's been resurfaced since you last went down it... The planks still run lengthways but gave no trouble to me on 28's. There is a radar speed check of some sort; it solemnly announced I was doing 12mph, didn't look to me like an average speed jobbie just a standard 'spot' speed meter.

For me the convenience of pompey harbour station outweighs nearly every other consideration. Friday, I just headed south/uphill until the etrex said I'd hit the route and then I turned right...

Didn't know that- evens up the pros and cons between cat and car ferry a bit.

Paul_iow

With regards to the pier it does have an average speed camera on, has cameras either end, and its a 10mph limit. Its completely stupid as they are trying to enforce it for bikes but im not sure how they can catch you, unless the guy in the little hut has up to date speed info and can jump out and grab you. Wightlink have spent £1000's on the pier as they have left it too long so now need to re-coup the money. It also costs you £1 just to go up it now in the car!

I like the route but agree that maybe something could be changed with the chain ferry, id love a bridge but that won't ever happen. Maybe taking the route in Newport and then into Cowes could be good. I also agree with not using the cycle track, ill be using the road and going around next time. All said though it's a great day and im glad to see so many people coming from quite far to do the route.

the snail

Guru
Brilliant ride! I had a thoroughly enjoyable weekend, I'll definitely be back next year. Fearing rain on Sunday I went out for a ride on Saturday to Newport, ended up visiting Sandown and Ryde - one of those days when you just want to go further and further. Sunday went well, lack of timing, frequent controls and a couple of extra stops to admire the scenery made for a relaxed and sociable ride, took me about 8hrs. God knows how many calories I took on board. The IOW is a great place to cycle, I'm planning a longer visit asap
biggrin.gif

OP
OP
PpPete

PpPete

Legendary Member
That track's perfectly passable on 23mm tyres. The way some roadies go on about it, you'd think it was the Arenberg Forest. But each to their own....

It's not so much the surface as the number of peds and slow MTBs that make that track a PITA. If I take the tandem again I'll definitely use that alternative route.

bridgy

Legendary Member
It's all been said already, but great day once again, and better weather than expected (apart from the wind)!

A friend and I cycled from Cheddar to Brading on the Island on Saturday (102 miles) before doing the Randonnee on Sunday because it seemed like a good idea at the time! The longest ride I'd done before was the Randonnee itself so it was a bit of a personal challenge.

Actually it was a great (but long) day getting there and we had a fantastic cooked breakfast at Shaftesbury in Dorset at the cafe that looks down the hill used in the Hovis ads - thoroughly recommended if you're down that way!

Personally I really like the informal format of the Randonnee where people start from any of the checkpoints because you don't end up riding in crowds of other cyclists, but still get the sense of being part of an "event" when people bottleneck together at the other checkpoints.

Got the train back to Bristol yesterday so just had 25 miles to ride but was pretty sore by then to be honest, but had a great time!

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
It's not so much the surface as the number of peds and slow MTBs that make that track a PITA. If I take the tandem again I'll definitely use that alternative route.
It was pretty quiet on Sunday- probably because of the 'fear factor'- only a few peds and dogs.

bridgy

Legendary Member
It was pretty quiet on Sunday- probably because of the 'fear factor'- only a few peds and dogs.

Not when I was on it! lots of families with kids and/or dogs out for a stroll plus cyclists nothing to do with the Randonnee riding very slowly - I actually felt sorry for them as they were pretty intimidated by the large numbers of relatively fast moving cyclists bearing down on them (of which I was one).

I think I'll also avoid this section next time as when I was on there it was an accident waiting to happen.

bridgy

Legendary Member
Some photos from this year's Randonnee here (from the official site's facebook page) and here (from IOW County Press).

Can anyone see themselves?!

Top Bottom