Isle of Wight Randonnée - Sunday 1st May 2011

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
PpPete

PpPete

Legendary Member
Super ride, back at East Cowes at 6.10 pm despite knackered freewheel on the tandem, and got on incredibly busy 6:30 ferry.

Note for the future ... tandems are not good at speed in crosswinds. Especially one-handed when operating down-tube shifters.

Looking forward to doing it clockwise next year so as to avoid the chain ferry bottleneck.

Oh - and all the kids enjoyed it, so definite "result" all round.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
My answer to all that would be simply, 'it ain't broken, don't fix it'. Going through Ryde adds nothing to the route, and the pier's a PITA for anyone who gets the FastCat from Pompey. Did it that way in 2008, not again... It's like an easy-going Audax, and all the better for it.

How so boss?

PS If you fancy going round again (?clockwise?) on a less windy day later this spring/summer give me a shout...

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
How so boss?

PS If you fancy going round again (?clockwise?) on a less windy day later this spring/summer give me a shout...

Well, in my humble opinion, based on trying to ride down the pier three years back...as the planks run down the pier rather than across, wheels get caught in the ruts unless you can ride very straight indeed, there's speed bumps (and apparently a 10 mph limit anyway, which is enforced even for cyclists). It was an awful experience on 40mm tyres, on 23mms it would have been terrifying. For the Randonnee (or just following the official round the Island route), it's off the route and three miles from the Wootton checkpoint. The twenty-five minutes you save in crossing time are wiped out by the bother of getting off the pier and back on track. Getting the car ferry's a much better option as far as I'm concerned- roll-on and off, a mile from the route, and it's cheaper to boot.

Might be an idea to go round again, I've not done the route clockwise. Thanks, I'll bear that in mind.

It was a great day although I didn't remember it being so hilly last year! I must have flattened it in my mind:smile:

Didn't start too well as we missed the ferry by about 3 mins.
The wind certainly added another dimension, but it was lovely on the bits where the wind was behind us. We were a lot slower round this year so at least I can blame the elements:smile:
Couldn't resist a nice Toby carvery on the way home. What a lovely day:smile:
RuthieB

Well, I had a good day and met lots of colleagues thet I served with and drank lots of beer, but couldn't help thinking " I would be at Porchfield now" during the day. Don't regret the reunion, but did miss the ride.

The hills do change!

If you look at a GPS profile then the hills are shorter and sharper one way than the other.

2PedalsTez

Über Member
My answer to all that would be simply, 'it ain't broken, don't fix it'.
Usual excellent service by the PTAs, and all five bits of cake (earnt, I think!) I had were great.

You're right.. as tempting as it may be to tinker and introduce other locations, it wouldn't really add that much to the enjoyment. It was, as always, a brilliant day.

I guess its reputation as an event gets bigger and better, so the club riders will always join in and do a fast ride, but like I said previously, the mix of entrants makes the event so good.

As for the cake... was it me or was it EVEN better this year? (or maybe I just get more grateful every year!)

2PedalsTez

Über Member
Well, I had a good day and met lots of colleagues thet I served with and drank lots of beer, but couldn't help thinking " I would be at Porchfield now" during the day. Don't regret the reunion, but did miss the ride.

Would it help if I said this year was the best ever? ;)
Shame you couldn't make it, I always look out for you. There is always next year...

2PedalsTez

Über Member

Bearing in mind I don't live that far away, I had already planned another visit or two to ride the island.. maybe worth an unofficial event?

Another enjoyable circuit of the IoW. Dry, mild weather was a bonus, could have done without the wind but it made the first section between Cowes and Yarmouth an easy warm up. Total time was circa 5.30 including two half hour stops. Wasn't too bad on fixed, 81 miles door to door.
Passed a couple of young guys looking pretty hipster on shiny (fixed) Charge plugs, don't think they had any brakes at all, I used both of mine quite a bit, wonder how they got on?

Big well done to your kids Pete!

albal

Guru
returned on the 1715 yarmouth ferry, and fell asleep in the lounge :biggrin:. 1st ride and enjoyed it , the north was a great ride, looking forward to a totally different clockwise next year, see you there.

Hedgehoguk

Regular
What can we say - but an excellent ride, with excellent organisation.

The club excelled itself - the only bit I did not enjoy was the track from Yarmouth to Freshwater but in the grand scheme of things a minor detail.

The 5.30 ferry back to Southampton was full to with no seating available anywhere :angry: .

The club excelled itself - the only bit I did not enjoy was the track from Yarmouth to Freshwater but in the grand scheme of things a minor detail.

We never use that track, if you carry on over the bridge at Yarmouth harbour, take the first left then left at the next t junction it brings you out back on the route near Freshwater and only adds about 1/2 a mile.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
That track's perfectly passable on 23mm tyres. The way some roadies go on about it, you'd think it was the Arenberg Forest. But each to their own....

Chris.IOW

I don't understand why the offical Round the Island ride, a road route suddenly puts in a couple of miles of gravel track.

I've used the alternative route through Yarmouth as described above on the occasions I have done this part of the ROute. It's a good road and not really extra distance, but a couple more hills.

PaulM

Guru
Wind? What wind? When you're on 3 wheels and seated 8" about the ground you don't really notice it.

Yes, the cake was even better this year.

The day was great. Somehow it seemed even more relaxed and sociable than ever.

Top Bottom