Isle of Wight

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sunstreeter

I am going on holiday to the Isle of Wight at the end of May. It is not possible for me to take my own bike and I wondered about hiring one for some of the days I am there.
Does anyone on here live on the Isle of Wight, or has hired a bike there before, and can recommend a good bike hirer?

Many thanks

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
Some Bike Hire links here, but the WightCycleHire link is not right.

But this one is http://www.wightcyclehire.co.uk/

http://www.visitisleofwight.co.uk/things-to-do/cycling

Anyways, the IoW is epic for cycling.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Anyways, the IoW is epic for cycling.
..but it's a lumpy bugger, so pick a light bike.

The marked round-the-island route is about 65 miles on road and in the main is a treat. Downsides are the state of some of the roads (running joke in Hampshire) and, if you're doing a full island, the unavoidable stretch of A road between Freshwater and Brook in the south west of the island, which can get a bit tetchy in high summer with all the visitor cars and coaches. Unfortunately, this bit also has the best views.

There've been a few IoW threads on CC over the years, including the Randonnee, so you'll find lots of tips with a search.

bikeman66

I live on the island, and I can certainly confirm it is a great place to ride, whether on an MTB or on the road. On an island 26 miles wide by 13 miles deep I think I'm right in saying that there are some 240 miles of bridleways for mountain bikers to explore. If you are more in to road cycling, then yes I would totally agree that the roads aren't the best quality, but there is a major road resurfacing project which is well underway and should improve things for roadies.

Not entirely sure what the bike hire situation is on the island, although I know there are places I can't say what kind of bikes and what kind of quality they might be. Give e a couple of days and I'll see what I can find out.

bikeman66

Must be using a short cut, seeing as the IOW Randonee is 100 miles or so.
Hi Tim,

I'm thinking you must be thinking in terms of 100km instead of miles. I live on the island, and although it is a few years since I've done the Randonee, I can't imagine they have altered the course significantly enough to have added another 40 miles on to the original 60 or so. I'm happy to be proved wrong though.

It's a great ride around the coast of the island, but 35 miles would represent a serious short cut. Starting from Cowes, I have always preferred to do a clockwise route, in order to get the hilly areas of Shanklin and Ventnor out of the way relatively early, and to make use of the prevailing wind, which would normally be on your back on the homeward leg from Freshwater back to Cowes.

Must be using a short cut, seeing as the IOW Randonee is 100 miles or so.
I've done it about 15 times, it's 64'ish miles (ok it was 75 last year because the floating bridge wasn't running).

As above, the Randonee has two routes....

The shorter "Mini Randonnee" is 35 miles

IOW-OVERVIEW.jpg

Tim Hall

Hi Tim,

I'm thinking you must be thinking in terms of 100km instead of miles. I live on the island, and although it is a few years since I've done the Randonee, I can't imagine they have altered the course significantly enough to have added another 40 miles on to the original 60 or so. I'm happy to be proved wrong though.

It's a great ride around the coast of the island, but 35 miles would represent a serious short cut. Starting from Cowes, I have always preferred to do a clockwise route, in order to get the hilly areas of Shanklin and Ventnor out of the way relatively early, and to make use of the prevailing wind, which would normally be on your back on the homeward leg from Freshwater back to Cowes.
Good point about the miles/kilometres. Must be all that reading about the Tommy Godwin challenge. But you're right, 35 miles is still a serious short cut.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Good point about the miles/kilometres. Must be all that reading about the Tommy Godwin challenge. But you're right, 35 miles is still a serious short cut.

I dont know about that. Its just another route. Lots of newbies will get put off the 100km rides, 55km is a lot more "do-able" for them in their minds I should reckon.

Wightdragon

Lots of children ride the 55k randonee route. It's a challenge for them, with some climbs in there to make them feel heroic!

Top Bottom