Islington, Cyclist stabbed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

subaqua

What’s the point
It was a minimum of 21 years. Given that he was already on bail on a charge of carrying a knife, it isn't certain that he would be released at that point.

Ok so he sits in prison for 21 years , is a good boy inside, behaves well and is eligible for release after the 21 yrs. stinks . was a deliberate act and he knew the outcome was going to be death - should have been a whole life term.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Ok so he sits in prison for 21 years , is a good boy inside, behaves well and is eligible for release after the 21 yrs. stinks . was a deliberate act and he knew the outcome was going to be death - should have been a whole life term.

But whole life terms are rarely implemented.

It would be better to reinstate the death penalty for cases where guilt is not in question. I wonder how many milions of pounds the taxpayer will have to stump up to keep this young man in prison for 21 years. The money will be far better served using it elsewhere.

The jury noticed that the so called Christian family of the alibi declined to swear on the bible. That struck me as bizarre, like it doesn't count if your fingers are crossed or something.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
The jury noticed that the so called Christian family of the alibi declined to swear on the bible. That struck me as bizarre, like it doesn't count if your fingers are crossed or something.

The witness will have been offered the choice of swearing on the bible, or making an affirmation without a bible.

The jurors will have gone through the same process when they were sworn at the start of the trial.

They may have noticed the witness choosing to make an affirmation - it was there to be seen.

But I'm curious as to how we know they noticed, unless someone asked them afterwards which is very unlikely given that any question to a juror would see the questioner in the dock.

Any irregularity would also be highlighted by the defence barrister.

We've not heard of such, and the defendant has been sentenced.

Cocking up the trial process could be grounds for an appeal, but it's more likely wires have become crossed somewhere.

But whole life terms are rarely implemented.

It would be better to reinstate the death penalty for cases where guilt is not in question. I wonder how many milions of pounds the taxpayer will have to stump up to keep this young man in prison for 21 years. The money will be far better served using it elsewhere.
A lot less money than executing. Googke it. Death sentenances in the US costs massively more than imprisoning for life.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Dunno about the US, but it's reckoned to cost about £40,000 a year to keep a prisoner in the UK.

Thus the bill for 21 years' board and lodgings at Her Majesty's Pleasure will be £840,000.

Execution won't be cheap, not least because we would have to re-establish the way to do it.

But it surely wouldn't cost £840,000.

Dunno about the US, but it's reckoned to cost about £40,000 a year to keep a prisoner in the UK.

Thus the bill for 21 years' board and lodgings at Her Majesty's Pleasure will be £840,000.

Execution won't be cheap, not least because we would have to re-establish the way to do it.

Execution doesn't but the court case and legal process costs millions.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Execution doesn't but the court case and legal process costs millions.

Only if you allow a 'death row' to be established.

This defendant has been found guilty of murder.

If we had the death penalty he could be executed within days.

It would only be the sentence of a court, which in this case he received two or three days after conviction.

Only if you allow a 'death row' to be established.

This defendant has been found guilty of murder.

If we had the death penalty he could be executed within days.

It would only be the sentence of a court, which in this case he received two or three days after conviction.
Plenty or resources online explaining the costs. Court case takes a lot longer and appeal process more detailed when death penalty is being sought.

I've heard it costs a lot more to put someone on death row as opposed to life in prison. A quick google of costs put it at over a $million more per case. More appeals, more lawyers and increased security all add onto the cost.

Plus, let's not forget the killing someone just 'cos you don't like 'em is about as barbaric as a civilization can get.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Plenty or resources online explaining the costs. Court case takes a lot longer and appeal process more detailed when death penalty is being sought.

The American system is not relevant to the UK.

Prosecutors do not seek sentences in this country, judges decide and pass them, within the law and, these days, sentencing guidelines.

It is only as complicated as you make it.

At the end of the trial, the judge can just as easily say: "You are sentenced to death," as he can say: "You are sentenced to life in prison with a tariff of 21 years."

I'm too young to have heard a death sentence being passed, but I have spoken to people who have.

The speech from the judge wasn't very long.

Off topic slightly, but I have seen a High Court judge who used to walk onto the bench followed by his marshal (clerk) who carried a folded black hat on a cushion.

The hat was the one judges used to put on before they passed the death penalty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom