Islington, Cyclist stabbed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

subaqua

What’s the point
Only if you allow a 'death row' to be established.

This defendant has been found guilty of murder.

If we had the death penalty he could be executed within days.

It would only be the sentence of a court, which in this case he received two or three days after conviction.
Birmingham 6 , Guildford 4 , Derek Bentley. Nothing more needs be said really , and if you look at how many are on death row then it is obviously not a deterrent to crime is it.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Birmingham 6 , Guildford 4 , Derek Bentley. Nothing more needs be said really , and if you look at how many are on death row then it is obviously not a deterrent to crime is it.

I don't see the relevance of what happens in a foreign country.

Anyway, you could say the American crime rate would be higher were it not for the death penalty - another reason not to take much account of what happens over there.

Apparent miscarriages of justice will always be an argument against the death penalty, but the Birmingham Six were convicted 40 years ago.

There is a limit to the length of time the anti-argument can hang its hat on that case.

I don't see the relevance of what happens in a foreign country.

Anyway, you could say the American crime rate would be higher were it not for the death penalty - another reason not to take much account of what happens over there.

Apparent miscarriages of justice will always be an argument against the death penalty, but the Birmingham Six were convicted 40 years ago.

There is a limit to the length of time the anti-argument can hang its hat on that case.
States in America that have the death penalty, on the whole, have a higher murder rate than those that don't.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
States in America that have the death penalty, on the whole, have a higher murder rate than those that don't.

Cause or effect though?

and anyway, America is a bit of a madhouse, certain states more so than others - so could be correlation rather than causation: more violent nutters = more likely to favour death penalty AND more likely to murder each other / run amok

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Cause or effect though?

and anyway, America is a bit of a madhouse, certain states more so than others - so could be correlation rather than causation: more violent nutters = more likely to favour death penalty AND more likely to murder each other / run amok

I agree, America is such a large and diverse nation it is difficult to draw state to state comparisons.

Not that those against the death penalty in this country have much to worry about.

Even though I am in favour of it, I can't see it happening any time soon.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Was it David Cameron who said "eye for an eye" if a policeman was killed on duty? I cant remember. But that policy should also extend to civilians in the latter sense. though. though, hanging or giving a lethal injection to a serial mass murderer would be the 'easy' way out. That kind of person you would want to lock up so he can watch and feel his own life just waste away in prison.

the UK really needs to reform the justice system. criminals have more rights than civilians. For example - A guy breaks into your house. If you have wife and kids there in the house with you, the first thing youre going to think about is their protection. Only in this country can you beat the sh** out of a guy who breaks into your house who then can press charges against you for beating him lol. You wave a knife at him - he can call the police and have you arrested for threatening behaviour. The UK needs to adopt the Castle Doctrine and stop mollycoddling criminals. Why should criminals have rights when they break into your property and steal your belongings?

theclaud

Openly Marxist
FFS.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
You are familiar with the notion of reasonable force?

yes but even reasonable force itself is a tricky subject. Nobody on the police force can determine what 'reasonable force' is. Your first instinct is to protect your family - you wont care how much force you use, so long as there is still an intruder in your house. unless he's lying flat out on the floor unconscious, he's still a threat.

::EDIT::

For instance. Myleene Klass was arrested for waving a knife at potential intruders from her flat. If not arrested, she was at least handcuffed

And heres a small quote from the article...

""She is not looking to be a vigilante, and has the utmost respect for the law, but when the police explained to her that even if you're at home alone and you have an intruder, you are not allowed to protect yourself, she was bemused.""

Last edited:

Tin Pot

Guru
Dunno about the US, but it's reckoned to cost about £40,000 a year to keep a prisoner in the UK.

Thus the bill for 21 years' board and lodgings at Her Majesty's Pleasure will be £840,000.

Execution won't be cheap, not least because we would have to re-establish the way to do it.

But it surely wouldn't cost £840,000.

Circus cannon.

You fire the convict off the cliffs of Dover.

Depending on the severity and nature of their crime the distance they are shot, and if they get a helmet or not.

If they can swim back to shore, we let them back in.

Murder is quite bad though, so I'd set it up for a landing in Normandy, no helmet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom