Isn't WD40 great!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Jacomus-rides-Gen said:
No they are not the same.

GT-85 contains PTFE which leaves a very thin residue on whatever you spray it on. It also disperses water, and leaves behind that protective coating.

Most importantly, GT-85 is safe on carbon, Ti, Al, Steel, won't perish rubber, doesn't damage paintwork and makes it easier to clean the crud off your bike the next time.
Which does bugger all. That stuff is a common ingrediant in car oil additives which claim to make your engine last longer, run smoother etc. Every independant test I have ever seen rubbishs it as snake oil.

BUT WHAT DOES THE GT IN GT-85 STAND FOR?!:ohmy:

Smokin Joe said:
Which does bugger all. That stuff is a common ingrediant in car oil additives which claim to make your engine last longer, run smoother etc. Every independant test I have ever seen rubbishs it as snake oil.

Snake oil or not, GT-85 is a safer and longer lasting alternative to WD-40 - I don't really mind if its baby oil as long as it does it job :ohmy::biggrin:

gbb

Legendary Member
Without meaning to get pedantic...but as i hold all the COSHH sheets for workshop materials...in very simple form..
WD40
May cause dryness and skin irritation with prolonged contact
Contains NO known carcinogens.
Biodegradable
but
Does contain products known to contribute to global warming

GT-85
Remarkably vague in their datasheet ??
May cause dryness and skin irritation with prolonged contact
May cause lung damage if swallowed.
Flammable (as is WD40)

...and bugger all else....no data available for ecological impact etc etc.

GT85 may be a fine product...but WD cant be doing it so wrong.
Is it marketing ? Or is it that WD does the business for 99% of peoples needs.

I may try some GT85 and really compare the two.

gbb

Legendary Member
They're the same. WD40 used to be called Rocket 40. Wilfred Dongle was the chief developer and put his initials on the can.

The only difference with GT85 is that it took them more attempts to get it right. Which isn't surprising seeing as they gave the development job to a very old, retired felching assistant known locally as Granny Trouser.

[sits here with a wry smile] Nice one...:ohmy::biggrin: [/sits here with a wry smile]

One of the guys here has found the wierdest use i ever heard.....knee lubricant
I'm not joking....he got real sore knees the other month in the garden. Sprayed the with WD..i never asked WHY WD..what possessed him....but he said it worked

Dont fancy it from a health perspective.....dont go too near the barbeque either

Your mate is obviously a Sun reader. As an arthritic I am often given 'useful' advice and information from well-meaning colleagues. It included recently a 2 page article from the paper's health ' experts' full of stories of people who had shrugged off years of misery by the judicious use of the wonder substance. WD40's manufacturers were coy and non-commital.

Top Bottom