Issue with runners?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milzy

Guru
Talk of the carbon footprint keeps on coming around over & over again.
I thought about all these club runners who drive to races almost every Sunday & some are at the other side of the country just to run 10k. Many Don’t even car share. They go to various park runs in the car every Saturday. On New Year’s Day they do the double drive to an earlier park run then drive to another straight afterwards.
I feel that cyclists genuinely care about not burning fuel & taking care of the environment. These runners are clocking up millions of miles in their cars every year just to do mainly short runs but sometimes 10’s, half’s & marathons.
It’s fairly crackers really.
Discuss.

Last edited:

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Go to any sportive or race and you'll see the same thing. Most cyclists are no greener than anyone else.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
I thought about all these club runners who drive to races almost every Sunday & some are at the other side of the country just to run 10k. Many Don’t even car share. They go to various park runs in the car every Saturday. On New Year’s Day they do the double drive to an earlier park run then drive to another straight afterwards.
I feel that cyclists genuinely care about not burning fuel & taking care of the environment. These runners are clocking up millions of miles in their cars every year just to do mainly short runs but some half’s & marathons.
Discuss.
Why are you picking on runners? Have they ever claimed to be eco?
Loads of cyclists drive with bikes on the roof. How many people drive to the gym or the park to walk the dog.
What about the thousands of football fans who could watch the match on TV.

OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
Go to any sportive or race and you'll see the same thing. Most cyclists are no greener than anyone else.
Cyclists I know will do about 3-4 sportives a year. Many ride to them. The serious club runner is obsessed & they’re constantly racing events a
Everywhere & driving to club training. They are worse by far.

OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
I would say that since real action on climate change and carbon emissions requires the overthrow and complete reorganisation of the entire global capitalist system, then targeting park runners is as much a meaningless totem as anything else.
I agree but I wouldn’t be surprised if they become targeted at some point by the crazy media. I’m just runner bashing until my food digests before going on the turbo.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Really dont see what this post is trying to prove.

Transcontinental Race for example. Many riders fly from as far as Australia and the USA to ride.

OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
Really dont see what this post is trying to prove.

Transcontinental Race for example. Many riders fly from as far as Australia and the USA to ride.
I suppose it’s about carbon off setting & it will never be enough to make any real difference.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member

I'm smokin' with Joe on this one.

Most of my best rides have involved a round trip of up to 200 miles in the car.

My Lake District trips are slightly greener than they would otherwise have been because I only drive to and from a parking spot and do the majority of my tourism by bike.

the_mikey

Legendary Member
I thought about all these club runners who drive to races almost every Sunday & some are at the other side of the country just to run 10k. Many Don’t even car share. They go to various park runs in the car every Saturday.

It's meaningless unless you're prepared to hold everyone to account and not just a few runners, for example I waste hundreds of litres of diesel a week at work responding to technical support requests, for anything from a blown fuse to someone forgetting their password, someone driving a few miles to do a parkrun once a week is relatively benign.

sleuthey

Legendary Member
I feel that cyclists genuinely care about not burning fuel & taking care of the environment. These runners are clocking up millions of miles in their cars every year just to do mainly short runs but sometimes 10’s, half’s & marathons.
Discuss.
You mentioned my wife in your 4th and 5th sentence as she arrives at park run on her own in a car. You mentioned her in your second from last sentence as she is "crackers" enough to marry me.

However:

- She drops our 2 year old off at the in-laws before the run (thus needing a car).

- She has to get to yoga 20 mins after the run finishes so it's too slow to run, walk or cycle.

- She meets me at yoga after and we car share the way home.

Conclusion - don't judge a book by its cover.

Gunk

Guru
This could be a solution :laugh:

YamahaBikeRackOpt.jpg

Flakey

Go to many road races with my running club. Most club runners will car share. It's part of the social aspect of the sport.
Live in an isolated, rural area and am amazed at the number of cyclists who drive here then park so they can start and end their ride on quiet rural roads (don't blame them by the way).
Don't think any sport can "top trump" the other or claim the moral high ground.

Top Bottom