Issue with runners?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
@Milzy
Adam, are you trying a wind-up:whistle:

There's one guy (Terry) who runs (6 miles?) to his designated ParkRun (which was also my 'home' run, when I was running)
Starts at the back, generally passes everyone, & wins by a reasonable margin
At the last one I attended - rode over to watch, he did just that, & won by 46 seconds!! (in a 'sub 17' time)

I'll presume he did as he's done before & stayed till the last one is in?
Then he runs back home
At another local 'PR', there's a (now) husband & wife show up
They ride to it, from a neighbouring village, run then ride back home

No names mentioned, but I'll hazard a guess you know all three?
Yes I know them. Lovely folk. Terry very talented not far off pro level.
I’m going to drive all the way to Devon for a sportive but will make a long weekend of it. I miss the running days but I don’t miss the entry fees & an extra 1000 miles a year driving to races & park runs. I know it’s just been pedantic but I stand by that runners drive around for their hobby more than cyclists. Some people do both.

@Milzy

Re; the Duracell Bunny (Terry)

I've backmarked a 'trail marathon' before now, for friends (who organise events)

Kirkstall Brewery (as was), along the Leeds-Liverpool Canal
Turn round at Salts Mill
Back along it, to 'Office Lock' (#1) behind Leeds Station
Finish back at the 'Brewery'

He did the same;
Set off after everyone was out of sight
Like everyone, he had to contend with fishermen, cyclists, dog-walkers, pushchairs, prams. etc.....

And...……… on the race I was at, he still won by almost 20 minutes:notworthy::wacko:

OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
@Milzy

Re; the Duracell Bunny (Terry)

I've backmarked a 'trail marathon' before now, for friends (who organise events)

Kirkstall Brewery (as was), along the Leeds-Liverpool Canal
Turn round at Salts Mill
Back along it, to 'Office Lock' (#1) behind Leeds Station
Finish back at the 'Brewery'

He did the same;
Set off after everyone was out of sight
Like everyone, he had to contend with fishermen, cyclists, dog-walkers, pushchairs, prams. etc.....

And...……… on the race I was at, he still won by almost 20 minutes:notworthy::wacko:
His training is on point but his physiology is designed to run. That massive long stride just keeps churning out with a lower heart rate. He’d be the ultimate mammoth hunter back in the early days.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Talk of the carbon footprint keeps on coming around over & over again.
I thought about all these club runners who drive to races almost every Sunday & some are at the other side of the country just to run 10k. Many Don’t even car share. They go to various park runs in the car every Saturday. On New Year’s Day they do the double drive to an earlier park run then drive to another straight afterwards.
I feel that cyclists genuinely care about not burning fuel & taking care of the environment. These runners are clocking up millions of miles in their cars every year just to do mainly short runs but sometimes 10’s, half’s & marathons.
It’s fairly crackers really.
Discuss.
You have never raced your bike then? There are thousands of cyclists clocking up huge numbers of driving miles to go racing. I thinking picking on runners is disingenuous.

OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
You have never raced your bike then? There are thousands of cyclists clocking up huge numbers of driving miles to go racing. I thinking picking on runners is disingenuous.
Fair point, no research to hand but who’s clocking up the most driving miles just out of interest not that I really care.

Yes I know them. Lovely folk. Terry very talented not far off pro level.
I’m going to drive all the way to Devon for a sportive but will make a long weekend of it. I miss the running days but I don’t miss the entry fees & an extra 1000 miles a year driving to races & park runs. I know it’s just been pedantic but I stand by that runners drive around for their hobby more than cyclists. Some people do both.

:okay::okay:
I've ridden to CX events, raced them & rode back
Granted, fairly close races (you know where we live)
Thornes Park, or Temple Newsam

Conversely, in the dim/distant past (early 90's)
I've ridden to Bingley, via Morley & Bradford (lived in Stanley then, so not much closer)
Raced CX at Myrtle Park, & ridden back
Suffering though :laugh:

Plus, with regard to (running) races
1. I once ran the Rothwell 10K, went home
Ran to work, did full 'late-turn' & ran home!!:wacko:

2. Oxspring - Penistone Trail Race (5 miles)
Run that, gone home
Got changed, rode to work, for a 'late-turn'

3. Equally, done Withins, Auld Lang Syne, Stanbury, (when the 'Woodentops' organised them) then worked a 'late-turn'
Admittedly, drove straight to work from those, arriving late (agreed to) eating before showering (& annoying the Domestics, by clogging the shower with mud brought over from Haworth:okay:
http://www.wharfedaleharriers.co.uk/events/penistone-hill-races/

Last edited:
OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
:okay::okay:
I've ridden to CX events, raced them & rode back
Granted, fairly close races (you know where we live)
Thornes Park, or Temple Newsam

Conversely, in the dim/distant past (early 90's)
I've ridden to Bingley, via Morley & Bradford (lived in Stanley then, so not much closer)
Raced CX at Myrtle Park, & ridden back
Suffering though :laugh:

Plus, with regard to (running) races
1. I once ran the Rothwell 10K, went home
Ran to work, did full 'late-turn' & ran home!!:wacko:

2. Oxspring - Penistone Trail Race (5 miles)
Run that, gone home
Got changed, rode to work, for a 'late-turn'

3. Equally, done Withins, Auld Lang Syne, Stanbury, (when the 'Woodentops' organised them) then worked a 'late-turn'
Admittedly, drove to those
http://www.wharfedaleharriers.co.uk/events/penistone-hill-races/
Yes it’s commendable my mate Steve does similar things but it’s rare. I have driven 2 miles to park runs I could have ran to thinking I’d have more energy in the tank to put into the 5k. Looking back Now I should have could have jogged there & back.

His training is on point but his physiology is designed to run. That massive long stride just keeps churning out with a lower heart rate. He’d be the ultimate mammoth hunter back in the early days.
When we first moved into the house we're in now, I'd sometimes see him running around the neighbouring village
He had a (good length) Mohican then, but ran in the same '7 League Boots' style

vickster

Legendary Member
This could be a solution :laugh:

View attachment 498358
Don't most motorbikes burn fossil fuels too :scratch:thereby causing pollution. Possibly less than a family car but you can't get 4+ people on a motorbike (well you can if you're in the developing world, rarely seen in U.K.)...or you have an electric bike (although electricity isn't necessarily all that green either)

vickster

Legendary Member
The main problem I have with park run it makes it hard to park my car when I take my daughter swimming on Saturday morning but I certainly don't claim any moral high ground. Mind you some of the runners parking is appalling.
Do you have to drive there?

Top Bottom