It’s been a year...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Doobiesis

Über Member
I was out cycling yesterday and realised it was a year a go to the day I had my nasty bike accident.

Arms pretty much healed got around 90% movement back. Have still managed 34 rides over the year. But have been off it (bar two rides) since September, in order for my arm injury to heal.

Now I have some new winter gear, am looking at going out as regular as I did before my crash. With a bit more awareness I might add.

Reason for my post is, do not ride along thinking it won’t happen to you. I caught my back wheel on a bit of mud on the side of the road, and it took one second of not looking where I was going, moving my handlebars and bang! So, I know most of you probably do anyway, but please look at the road ahead, think about what kind of road you should be going in allowing for the winter weather. Most of all, staying safe.

12boy

Guru
I am afraid all my accidents came unexpectedly too. Actually was paying attention, but not to what went wrong.

Slick

Guru
I always assumed unexpected was pretty much the dictionary definition of an accident?

I'm sorry you had an accident, I'm even more sorry to hear a year later you have still to regain 100% use of your arm but on tomorrow mornings commute, I will definitely not ge thinking that it could happen to me. Sorry

OP
OP
Doobiesis

Doobiesis

Über Member
I always assumed unexpected was pretty much the dictionary definition of an accident?

I'm sorry you had an accident, I'm even more sorry to hear a year later you have still to regain 100% use of your arm but on tomorrow mornings commute, I will definitely not ge thinking that it could happen to me. Sorry
Was there a point to your post at all?

I think you misunderstood. Let me explain it to you. Accidents are avoidable, and if I had been paying attention, it might not have happened. simple really.

classic33

Leg End Member
@Doobiesis, try not to think about "what may have been" and put what happened behind you. I'll not say forget it, that's nigh on impossible.

But DON'T let it stop you getting back on your bike and enjoying it. The body is a slow healer, take your time, as in you decide, if you want to ride, not others. That includes where you want to ride. We all react differently to any incident, why should you be any different to anyone else.

I once described an accident, as "an incident, or series of incidents, that resulted in an unexpected outcome." Don't let yours stop you doing what you once enjoyed.

Best o'luck with the arm.

Must admit after my self inflicted off which saw me scooped up off the floor and taken to a & e by a kind hearted jogger I have become a lot more circumspect about my riding.

How does the old saying go, better to be five minutes late than twenty years too early.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Yup, same here. My crash on 18 August was due entirely to my own recklessness and in fact I'm a little surprised it didn't happen earlier. I'm currently undergoing a slow rehab from plating of the clavicle and shall be a lot more cautious when I get back on the bike next Spring. In some ways I'm glad I wasn't caught out by lack of skill or roadcraft. All my buddies had crashed and I was feeling a little conceited but wondering when my time would come, whether it would be a collar bone and what it would feel like.

I was out cycling yesterday and realised it was a year a go to the day I had my nasty bike accident.

Arms pretty much healed got around 90% movement back. Have still managed 34 rides over the year. But have been off it (bar two rides) since September, in order for my arm injury to heal.

Now I have some new winter gear, am looking at going out as regular as I did before my crash. With a bit more awareness I might add.

Reason for my post is, do not ride along thinking it won’t happen to you. I caught my back wheel on a bit of mud on the side of the road, and it took one second of not looking where I was going, moving my handlebars and bang! So, I know most of you probably do anyway, but please look at the road ahead, think about what kind of road you should be going in allowing for the winter weather. Most of all, staying safe.
Glad to hear it's gone well. New shoulder for me, in March-ish. So no riding for a stretch then. But I've done some miles between accident and now, which I'm happy about.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
My serious accidents have been car drivers. I don't ride the road anymore after over 30 years, breaking my spine quite badly was enough. I now just ride the MTB off road, and you are more or less guaranteed a fall of one sort or another on most rides - more if it's a technical natural trail. Never mind eh, at least it's not 1500kg+ of metal hurtling at you.

Keep up the exercises and keep riding.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I mountain biked for 21 years during which I must have fallen off hundreds of times, although almost always at slow speeds and on mud or grass. I had a couple of bad injuries but never broke a bone. I feel safer on the road but speeds are higher as I discovered when I decked on my shoulder last August. Luckily I don't commute or ride in traffic so the chances of being hit by a car are slimmer than the chances of an own-fault crash.

Alan O

Über Member
Was there a point to your post at all?

I think you misunderstood. Let me explain it to you. Accidents are avoidable, and if I had been paying attention, it might not have happened. simple really.
Absolutely right.

Sure, accidents are unexpected (by definition), but a little more caution can indeed go a long way towards minimizing the chances of unexpected things happening - unexpected does not mean unavoidable. My three (thankfully minor) offs over the past couple of years were 100% down to my not paying attention.

Anyway, I remember from your posts how traumatic your accident was, and it's great to hear you're still so positive about your cycling.

Top Bottom