It’s been a year...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

12boy

Guru
A doctor once told me there is no health problem that isn't better if you are healthy and strong when it occurs. My most serious accident, about 15 months ago, involved breaking my pelvis in 3 places. It was 2 months before I could ride a real bike any distance although the rehab guys put me on a stationary bike in about 12 days. That I could ride although I couldn't walk without crutches. Accidents will happen to most of us, but the healing process is very different based on fitness, how much extra weight we carry, and our willingness to do therapy even though it hurts. So I take better care of myself than I did before the accident, meaning more stretching, more core strengthening and some upper body work and I am far less likely to take the joy of riding for granted.

Boon 51

Veteran
It will take time to heal as I found out, I hit some gravel in the road and down I went about 2 1/2 years ago.
Came off bike hit the curb breaking my hip, my ball joint broke my pelvis and snapped of the end off my thigh bone and the ball joint had a 75% fracture. so I have loads of metal keeping things in place. The metal in my hip means I can't sleep on my right hand side because it feel like I'm laying on a broad handle. lol
The good news is I can ride a bike, the bad news is my wife has to help me get dressed. lol.
So give it time and most things will mend..
So good luck from me.

OP
OP
Doobiesis

Doobiesis

Über Member
I think I’ve come to realise I can never give cycling up. It taught me a lot about my own cycling, so in a way I’m glad it happened. I go into the zone, which means assessing the road ahead.

I lost some confidence which I’m slowly getting back. And I still use the road I crashed on.

You guys also taught me I got off lightly with some of your own injuries. It seems an up hill struggle when you hurt yourself. And I also remember telling you all that was gonna be no more cycling.

Boon 51

Veteran
I think I’ve come to realise I can never give cycling up. It taught me a lot about my own cycling, so in a way I’m glad it happened. I go into the zone, which means assessing the road ahead.

I lost some confidence which I’m slowly getting back. And I still use the road I crashed on.

You guys also taught me I got off lightly with some of your own injuries. It seems an up hill struggle when you hurt yourself. And I also remember telling you all that was gonna be no more cycling.

Its corny but time is a good healer so just keep on doing what you are doing.
Oh Happy New Year.

classic33

Leg End Member

No cycling, that's not allowed!

raleighnut

Legendary Member

:bravo:

I've probably done less cycling in my entire life than you have already, and still don't do much by forum standards. I did get back on quickly, and although I had to stop again for the failed surgery , again got back on asap. Like you, I'm cycling, one way or the other. It never occurred to me to stop. But I will be taking whatever steps possible to be more comfortable after the replacement, eg bigger, softer tyres (much bigger!), more relaxed bike in general.
I is not stopping! And I'm glad to hear you aren't either.

Johnno260

Veteran
Glad to hear you're healing.

Just keep warm, have decent lighting, and winter can be quite enjoyable, I love my morning rides watching the sun rise.

My main thing for winter is I don't give a rats about speed, I pick routes that have decent climbs I just mainly go out to keep fit, keep my miles up and to enjoy cycling, just go slow and steady, avoid routes you're not familiar with in the dark as those potholes can leap out the shadows.

Top Bottom