It’s beginning to look not a lot like Christmas....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Less than 4 weeks to go.
Just been into Sainsbury’s and around the town and it really doesn’t seem like it should for the time of year. Ok, clear blue skies and very warm on the seafront, but barely a hint That we are weeks away of from our major festival.
In JS, there are mince pies, Stollen, Puds and festive Twiglets on the shelves, but It’s all pretty low key.

I’ll be the first to admit that am not a big fan of the overblown festive season, but this seems a trifle odd to say the least., the Covid Christmas.

Maybe, just maybe it will make us revisit the festive season, less rampant consumerism, more about friends and family, more thinking about those less fortunate?

I can but hope. Maybe this is Christmas future...

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Morrisons and B&M are stocked up for Christmas. My Sainsbury being miserable ?

, but in reality the Catholic church also pays it little heed.

You sure?
Is the mrs lapsed?

I thought Mr Pope did a balcony call and one of his urbi et orbi things on christmas day?

I assume it will be as solitary as his easter gig was - and still 'im upstairs doesn't seem to have sent any word down about what the **ing hell is all about.

Drago

Legendary Member
She's moderately into it. Her parents are really keen, and theres the midnight mass and the chrismas day service etc, but you can tell that Father O'Whatsiname is only going through the motions. They get far more enthusiastic about easter.

As an unrelated aside, her mu and dad are pretty progressive, but being a 5x2 myself there are some within her family who weren't happy about it and we couldnt get a wedding in a Catholic church. In the end i lost my rag and managed to book Coventry register office instead, the oldest register office building in the UK, so it was nice. Now those say ultra conservative Catholics that resisted a church wedding tell me it wasn't a real wedding because it wasn't in a church. I cant win. Just to spite them I use as much contraception as I can find.

byegad

Legendary Member
Yes, as we've been in isolation since early March, our plans for xmas were to be home, and no visitors. So the fiasco being enacted in 'the outside world' by BoJo and his circus of the macabre is not changing our plans one jot.
Given that Lady Byegad lay in a hospital bed over last yuletide, not knowing how much mobility* she'd ever regain following her brain abscess operation, that will be absolutely fine by us.

*She's still making slow but steady progress, so when we have had our jabs, we will be able to get out and about a bit. AND, we are perfectly happy to wait for that, shops, meals out and little jaunts will be perfectly possible when it's safe.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Just taken full advantage of the Sainsbugs 25% wine discount. Saved £45 :cheers:

Merry Christmas

Can I be in your bubble ! :whistle: I won't be touching the crates of skol

Last edited:

byegad

Legendary Member
As christmas tree decorations at family gatherings?

I too have a certain family experience of the radical hate crime wing of the catholic church.

(the 5x2 took a bit of working out but i got there in the end)

Yes the Catholic side of our family, relations of my wife, are devout. But that didn't stop them ignoring my late Mother-in-law when she fell in their carpark when we turned up for a funeral. They stood and looked on as we helped her up and checked she was OK. Ignorant beggars!

In my family on my Dad's side their was a Catholic wing, dad was originally CoE. One of dad's cousins renounced 'the faith'. You'd have thought he'd announced he was marrying a pair of male giraffe. The father was called, all the family turned up to pray, and bells, smells and candles accompanied the bible and the father in a failed attempt to get him to change his mind. After announcing that he defied god to strike him down he walked out of the house forever, and joined the navy.
During the war his ship was sunk, and he survived, an occurrence claimed as 'Devine Intervention' by the family, and blind luck by the cousin, who used to call on us regularly when he was home.

Drago

Legendary Member
(the 5x2 took a bit of working out but i got there in the end)
I must point out that im not observant - my Dad was CofE verging on atheist and wouldn't have any organised religion in the house, so I was never raised in the faith and never felt the scalpel on my nethers. Nonethless, the heritage passes down the female line, and as my Mum is most likely to be female (although the beard and navy tattoos sometimes give me pause for thought) that status passed to me, and while i am not observant im acutely aware of my heritage. Not being religious I keep quite about it, and tend to only trot it out when it might be useful, like getting out of an Islamic Awareness course I was tapped for when I was a copper, of when chatting to IDF grunts on holiday in Eilat.

And thats one of the reasons talk about white privilege so royally pees me off - it didn't do a thing to protect the 6 million of my race that the Nazzies rubbed out, and still makes one a target for hate and nastiness. Id probably be quite the leftie if it weren't for that.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Ome of the advantages of being of Jewish heritage is not giving a sheet about Crimbo. Mrs D is Catholic, but in reality the Catholic church also pays it little heed as there's not much profit in it for the Vatican.
There used to be MASSIVE profits for them.
Christmas eve......loads of p*ssed people shoving money in the box.
Same again christmas day.
Serious money going in.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
if it wasnt for kids i doubt me and mrs ck would bother with xmas as its just a big expense and a lot of hassle as we usually do the hosting of the x mas dinner for the extended clan .

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Loads of lights up here, both council and households. German supermarkets have had stuff in for weeks. Not sure about Sainsburys as I've not been in the big one for a few weeks because I think it's not being run covid-secure.

Top Bottom