It’s that weighty question again

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Wobbling

Regular
At this time of year as I get older ,I’m 65,I try to convince myself that nature intends me to carry a little extra weight .I am 5 foot 9 and weighed in today at 80k ,that’s fine for long flat winter off road trails but with summer roads 3 months away a voice at the back of my head is saying 4K has got to go .Do you have a winter and summer riding weight or just use common sense and keep it steady .

froze

Über Member
I'm 66, 6 foot even and weigh 178 pounds (80.74k), so close to you. I try my best to keep my weight steady, it's difficult at our ages to take weight off due to our slower metabolism rates, so I don't want to gain and then have to take it off in the summer, to much of a pain.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I'm 64, 1.86 m tall (6' 1"), and my weight has crept up to 88 kgs (13 st 12 lbs/194 lbs) this winter.

I do feel that it would be better to keep it steady. I'm aiming to get it back to about 79 kgs (12 st 6 lbs/174 lbs) by the summer and then try to maintain it at that.

When I was down at only 74 kgs (11 st 9 lbs/163 lbs) I used to feel the cold in the winter so I allowed myself to put a small amount of fat back on and get it off again in the spring.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Same here, I like to keep my weight around 78kg, but at the moment it's about 82kg. I'm 190cm (just under 6'3"), so even 82kg is a reasonable weight, but given I like to cycle in the European Alps every chance I get, less weight always helps with that.

My approach is just common sense, mostly: I try to eat good foods, not overdo the snacks, and I commute between home and work by bicycle always, regardless of the weather. On weekends, I walk to and from the local shopping centre on both days (around 4km or more for the round trip). I also try not to eat too little, which helps keep the weight down: eating too little can be counterproductive, as your body starts compensating by slowing its metabolism down, and you end up gaining instead of losing weight.

12boy

Guru
I am 70, 5' 8'' and weigh 72 1/2 kg. Should weigh 1 kg less, as I do in the summer. I generally move around more and work in the garden in the summer, but wuss out on uper body stuff. In the winter when riding is more sporadic I fall back on strength exercises and they may put on a little weight. Couldn't be the apple pies, cookies and rich meals I so enjoy in the cold dark and windy months, could it? I'm less concerned with my weight than how tight my britches are around my blubberous gut. There are lots of people here , both male and female (or whatever gender identity) that have truly impressive bellies. Is this the case in the UK as well?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
There are lots of people here , both male and female (or whatever gender identity) that have truly impressive bellies. Is this the case in the UK as well?
We are rapidly catching up on the USA... It was pretty rare when I was young but it isn't now!

I was one of those people until I ended up nearly clotting myself to death in 2012/13. I lost about 20 kg/45 lbs in a month and decided that it would not be sensible to put it back on again after I recovered!

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Perfectly normal I think. I yo-yo, I can be up to 14 stone in the middle of winter around Jan-Feb, then I tend to dislike my reflection and have a word with myself... I exercise more, eat less and I get down to about 12.5 stone by late spring.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
5 foot 7
winter i normally hover around 10 stone 12 llbs - 11 stone , the last year after lot of family health issues/ deaths i want eating right or training . sleeping and overworking to make up shortfall in earnings so went to 11 3.
Cut back on the junk food and now im back down to my winter weight.
Summer if im training right and eating right i go down to around 10 7 .

OP
OP
Wobbling

Wobbling

Regular
Thanks for all the replies I am clearly not alone lol have come to conclusion a smaller variation is ok maybe max 3k then nip it in the bud thanks everyone

12boy

Guru
I view keeping one's weight reasonable and fitness at a decent level as one third of good retirement planning. Another third is having people and things you care about and the last is having enough money so as not to worry about it all the time. Of course, the last third is having a bike you love.

Sterlo

Early Retirement Planning
I',m 55, 6ft3 and currently wavering around 16st (around 100kg), way too heavy, I would like to gradually drop down to around 14st but I've got very little willpower.

I'm putting on the lbs with a lot of boredom eating but I am not at a stage that worries me mainly because so far I am burning off most of that snacking and to be honest I need to put on weight. I am 44years now 5ft 9inch and 60-62kg depending what time of day and what I am wearing when I jump on the scales.

Top Bottom