It didn't look much on the map!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rh100

Had a trip out today - with an idea to up my mileage a bit more.

I went from Solihull across to Earlswood lakes (via back lanes), then down to Tanworth In Arden (steep hill on the way in, but rewarded with a fantastic 4 mile downhill stretch towards Henley In Arden, definitely won't do that hill in reverse), refuelled at Henley but was then defeated on the hill from Henley to Preston Baggot - got off and walked for the first time in ages. But the other side of that hill gave me a personal best of just over 30mph, before having to turn off to the lanes to Lowsonford, feeling knackered by then so headed directly back up via Packwood House and Knowle, constantly up and down the hills though, very glad to get home with a total of 35 miles, another personal best - but I think my next few outings will be a bit shorter. My average speed is still low as the hills slow me right down still.

OverallTime:05:04:37
Distance:35.81 mi
Elevation Gain:2,104 ft
TimingTime:05:04:37
Moving Time:03:30:57
Elapsed Time:05:04:37
Avg Speed:7.1 mph
Avg Moving Speed:10.2 mph
Max Speed:30.3 mph
Avg Pace:08:30 min/mi
Avg Moving Pace:05:53 min/mi
Best Pace:01:58 min/mi
Elevation Loss:2,087 ft
Min Elevation: 242 ft
Max Elevation:554 ft

DavieB

MIA
Nice one, you want to try that hill in reverse direction! you know it.

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
The whole trick to a high average speed is to nudge the magnet out of position as soon as you start to climb, only restoring it once you crest. That way you can say "It was a really fast ride, but the rattle of the road kept turning off my computer. Every time I checked it, I was doing at least 25mph." :biggrin:

Good effort, I say. Its hard work upping your distance, and this was a hell of a route to push it on :smile:

OP
OP
rh100

rh100

Nice one, you want to try that hill in reverse direction! you know it.

What? The big downhill one? No way! Just no way! lol

You got off and walked up Blackford Hill :biggrin: !

'Fraid so, was pretty much done by then and my legs just didn't want to know, most of my rides only see 5% max and i just didn't have the energy for this one. I got back on at the top though :smile: I'm thinking of changing the back cassette from a 28 to 32 bottom gear same as my hybrid.

The whole trick to a high average speed is to nudge the magnet out of position as soon as you start to climb, only restoring it once you crest. That way you can say "It was a really fast ride, but the rattle of the road kept turning off my computer. Every time I checked it, I was doing at least 25mph." :biggrin:

Good effort, I say. Its hard work upping your distance, and this was a hell of a route to push it on :smile:

Thanks arallsopp, my ride last Sunday was for 25miles with 1355ft altitude gain and about the same average speed, so not too bad considering I jumped by 10 miles to 35mile and keeping roughly the same averages. Also, since changing the bike I ride, I tried a new training run of 15 mile instead of 10, and beat my normal average by 2mph - so all quite positive so far, except for getting numb fingers (still tingley today, need to look into this problem asap).

My goal for this year is to do a 100 miler - still a way off but doable I think.

Had a trip out today - with an idea to up my mileage a bit more.

I went from Solihull across to Earlswood lakes (via back lanes), then down to Tanworth In Arden (steep hill on the way in, but rewarded with a fantastic 4 mile downhill stretch towards Henley In Arden, definitely won't do that hill in reverse), refuelled at Henley but was then defeated on the hill from Henley to Preston Baggot - got off and walked for the first time in ages. But the other side of that hill gave me a personal best of just over 30mph, before having to turn off to the lanes to Lowsonford, feeling knackered by then so headed directly back up via Packwood House and Knowle, constantly up and down the hills though, very glad to get home with a total of 35 miles, another personal best - but I think my next few outings will be a bit shorter. My average speed is still low as the hills slow me right down still.

OverallTime:05:04:37
Distance:35.81 mi
TimingTime:05:04:37
Moving Time:03:30:57
Elapsed Time:05:04:37
Avg Speed:7.1 mph
Avg Moving Speed:10.2 mph
Max Speed:30.3 mph
Avg Pace:08:30 min/mi
Avg Moving Pace:05:53 min/mi
Best Pace:01:58 min/mi
Min Elevation: 242 ft
Max Elevation:554 ft

WOW to much info, does all that info improve your riding, or make you disgruntled with your ablity. I only use average speed, and moving time and total distance

OP
OP
rh100

rh100

WOW to much info, does all that info improve your riding, or make you disgruntled with your ablity. I only use average speed, and moving time and total distance

It was just a cut and paste from the Garmin site, not all of it relevant granted.

Disgruntled? No mate, this time last year I couldn'tcycle around the block and got out of breath going up the stairs so actually I'm a very happy bunny regards with my ability, and as for if all the info improves my riding, I'll let you know after I've used the garmin a little bit more ;)

jimboalee

I've got the descent of that hill on a Garmin track from the Beacon CC 'Cotswold outing'.

I'll dig it out later and post my speed down.

Its about 11% at steepest.

amnesia

Free-wheeling into oblivion...

If you finished at the same point you started why isn't the elevation gain / loss the same ?

wacko.gif

Or am I being thick ???

OP
OP
rh100

rh100

If you finished at the same point you started why isn't the elevation gain / loss the same ?

wacko.gif

Or am I being thick ???

No,not thick :smile:

I'm not totally sure,but the Garmin I have has an electronic barometer which it uses for altitude, rather than taking it from the maps, perhaps it's just variation in it's sensitivity or something. Interestingly, there is always a bit of a difference on the garmin web site when you switch between map/device altitude, would be keen to know which is more reliable.

johnsie

...... and on a similar thread....

Mrs Johnsies birthday ride included the Wells to Happisburgh section of the Norfolk coast and gave lie to the notion that Norfolk is flat.

But not enough to surprise the riders in the Milk Race in September though.

jimboalee

wacko.gif

Or am I being thick ???

1% accuracy. Yes, you're being thick.

The OS map says the elevation of the road outside my house is 435ft. My Garmin can be anywhere from 430 to 440ft.

Positional accuracy is 15 to 20 ft, so I am presuming this accuracy also applies to elevation when the elevation is calculated from satellite signals.

+/- 1% on elevation is not bad at all.

Top Bottom