It is a year and a day since I last drank any alcohol.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
As the title says...
Conscious decision a year & a day ago to stop drinking alcohol.
I'm not sure if I feel actually any healhier, but I've certainly lowered my intake of useless calories, and saved maybe £1,500

I can honestly say that I haven't missed it, (apart from, possibly, today when a nice bottle of wine, sat out in the sunshine might have been nice!)

keithmac

Guru
Well done, I managed 6 months last year, would be proud to do a year off.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Well done.

A black pudding*** made me give up 9 years ago and since then I do feel a lot healthier, have lost a lot of weight, and have saved thousands of pounds.

I have been able to watch TV series boxsets again as if for the first time. For example, I was so p*ssed when watching The Sopranos the first time round that I didn't remember any of it when watching it again sober! :laugh:

I don't miss the booze very often, but occasionally miss a cold lager on a warm summer evening.

Going to the pub to drink Coke or OJ doesn't appeal to me. As alcohol drinkers get more and more animated through the evening, they become more and more irritating to the sober guy across the table... :whistle:

*** It wasn't a real black pudding - it was the lookalike that I grew in my pulmonary artery! I was too ill to drink, and once I recovered I wasn't going to go back to my harmful former lifestyle.

OP
OP
PeteXXX

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
I do still like going to a pub, occasionally. Yesterday, pub meal with the family. No alcohol for any of us, especially the grandkids!
I had a pint of orange juice and lemonade.
No worries about driving there or back.
As an HGV driver, I've always been careful when I had anything to drink, and always abided by the 12 hour 'next day' rule.

1 day for me. Ha ha. Been away to Center Parcs and drank a few ciders. Considering I am normally a 1-2 pint a week kind of guy and I was having 2ish per day my liver had took a hammering. I’ll be off the booze after bank holiday Monday for as long as I can manage.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Is that a 'caffeine' thing?

Yes. The information sheet with the medication I was taking at the time recommended avoiding caffeine and I’ve never gone back. I just have a cup of hot water and once you’re eating something with it, you quickly forget it’s not tea.

The difficult bit is being in a restaurant or hotel and trying to order a cup of hot water.
“Are you sure?”
”No lemon?”
“Really, just water?”

Best one was, “Sorry, we don’t serve just hot water. You’ll need to buy a tea and not put the teabag in.” They would not bring me a plain water. (I hasten to add that I am always happy to pay the same as a cup of tea.)

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Three years for me. Don't miss it or the things that go with it (hangovers, pubs, big supermarket bills). Now I need to reduce my chocolate habit!
I developed an OJ and chocolate habit to replace the booze habit.

Then cake to replace chocolate and mixed the OJ 1:3 with sparkling mineral water.

Then nuts and raisins and OJ/tap water.

Then oatcakes and chilled tap water.

I've just about weaned myself off the oatcakes. Just chilled tap water now.

God, it's boring!!!!!!!!!! :laugh:

Lee_M

Guru
It is approximately 18 hours since my last drink, and approximately two until my next.

Well done to people that give up, if they feel better for it that's great.
My intake is quite small, but I wouldn't want to say never again, particularly since I brew my own

Top Bottom