It is a year and a day since I last drank any alcohol.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Well done you 👋👋

JhnBssll

Veteran
Excellent work, there's a lot to be said for giving up the drink and while the benefits become less stark as time goes by they are still significant 👍

My last alcoholic drink was on July 5th 2016, a pint of draft Magners. I remember it well since I only drank a few mouthfuls before deciding my stomach hurt too much to finish it which was very unusual indeed. I was in intensive care the next day :laugh: Spoiler, I was ok in the end :okay:

kayakerles

Have a nice ride.
November 2021 will make 21 years for me. I found that I can easily not drink at all, but can't or don't want to stop if I start. I'm also a small percentage Native American Indian, the most likely U.S. minority to become alcoholics. So I stopped (and was surprised how easy it was) and that was that, thankfully. I don't do caffeine any more as it seems to make me grit my teeth. Who needs that? Even worse it doesn't help give me a pick-me-up when I want it to! Herbal teas and an occasional decaf coffee with cream (especially in the winter, extra good.) My fave give-up lately is reading the news. Life is just less stressful without it. To each his own. (Please don't bash me on that.) I substituted this great group (Cycle Chat) to fill my digital intake habit. Sugar is really a hard one, especially since everything has sugar in it these days. Sugar = more carbs, which I attempt to watch. But hey, I just turned 65 and can't seem to lose a single pound anyway, even riding 50 - 70 miles a week. I'm trying to behave, and leaving it at that. Still miss an occasional cold brew, bit of good bourbon, or a nice glass of wine. But I did partook in a nice chocolate birthday cake around a week ago. What's life without a bit of chocolate now and then anyway? I hope I don't ever have to give up bike riding. I'm glad there are e-bikes now. A pedal-assist bike may be in my future, but hopefully not too soon. 🚴‍♂️...

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Well done to all of you who have given it up. I have been a fairly heavy drinker for 22 years. I can go a week without it no problem, and I don't really get any physical cravings. For me I fear I'd lose my self-confidence if I couldn't drink at a party for example. Even a family BBQ, I enjoy it much more when I've had a few. Do any of you find that (the psychological side) to be true?

Justified_Sinner

As the title says...

Ace! I haven't drunk alcohol since January 2nd 1991. I was rather forced to do it as it had become a problem but as I approach 60, I'm incredibly glad that I did. It wasn't easy and we live in a culture where drinking is SO normalised that not drinking can become problematic but in my opinion, it's worth it.
Keep it up!

kayakerles

Have a nice ride.
... Do any of you find that (the psychological side) to be true?
I used to feel weird at bars having a soda water with a slice of lime, going for the G&T look (liked the beverage, but felt sorta stupid.) After a while I just felt better for having been DONE with it. I never smoked, so hated the smelly bar scene anyway, but miss the hangin' with buds in the a fun (tavern) atmosphere. Most everyone I know understands anyway. I'm just better off without those fun substances. But I can hang around family crowds drinkin' all day now. Admittedly, as someone said, once lots of people have had lots to drink, to those not drinking they become not-so-fun to hang with after a while anyway. (Time to go home!) We can refrain either way, just remind ourselves of the bright side. 🙂 Not as nice as being able to have one or two and stop, but that's not how my gears turn.

Zanelad

Guru
It's been about a year for me thanks to Covid. When the pubs opened after the first lockdown I called in at the local on my walk back from town. It was a warm day and drinking a couple of pints watching the world go about its business was quite pleasant. There were just four of us in the pub! Mrs Z and I are not big drinkers, but we enjoy popping to the pub once in a while. Read a couple of the Sunday papers and maybe have a spot of lunch. Not done that since 2019 due to her poor health. Can't say that I've missed the beer. I don't drink at home. Part of the enjoyment is the pub atmosphere. I must say that I'm looking forward to taking the dog for a walk to the pub when it's safe to do so.

Top Bottom