It looks like we’re getting back to normal a bit quicker than I thought.

winjim

✊🏻✊🏾
That's your choice and a 100% valid one but the OP's choice to buy a top flight machine is his, equally valid and he doesn't need any further 'justification' than he wanted to because he likes it. We shouldn't belittle other's choices and dictate how they spend their disposable income. It's no different to someone wanting a Bugatti instead of a Kia. If they can afford it, it is their money and if makes them happy, great. I dislike alcohol but I'm not going to diss someone
Buy what you want, but if you're going to make a point of ostentatiously posting the price of it and making sure that everybody knows exactly how much you spent, you can expect people to form, and express, certain opinions about the purchase, and that behaviour.

View: https://youtu.be/jOlbOZ9w84I

dodgy

Legendary Member
If I won £65 million quid on the lottery, I wouldn't be spending much time figuring out if I should buy a £12k bike or not, it wouldn't be worth the thinking time. I'd just buy what the hell I fancied and couldn't give a stuff if it made me faster or not.
I suppose there are some lottery winners who say "it won't change me" and carry on working in the abbatoir because "they love the people they work with".
pfft

Algarvecycling

Buy what you want, but if you're going to make a point of ostentatiously posting the price of it and making sure that everybody knows exactly how much you spent, you can expect people to form, and express, certain opinions about the purchase, and that behaviour.

View: https://youtu.be/jOlbOZ9w84I
It was a different thread to this. A different topic and while I'm relatively new here, clearly there is some history I'm unaware of between some posters. But I know what you are saying. Still, someone posting what they paid for a high end machine is no different from someone posting what a cracker of a discount they got or how much they saved buying second-hand etc. In that case he wanted us all to know it is a top-of-the-range machine and it doesn't hurt anyone so I'm ok with that. The OP paid, what, £12k? Full RRP. Same bike can be had for £10k or less online but he chose not to shop around Europe because he didn't have to, evidently, and that's also his choice.

My neighbour across the road has one of those EV Porsches, the Taycan. Proud as punch of it. Worked hard, let me know how much it cost him. He didn't do that to make me feel he is wealthier or his car is better than mine. He's just a happy chap with a new toy that cost him a pretty penny and, yeah, fished for a 'well-done you'. All good. In this case, the OP showed us his nice new bike, it cost a lot. He splashed out a bit. No harm done.

AndyRM

XOXO
Ahem.....he hasn't shown us the 12k bike. Just told us he has it.
He's put a few pics on the 'Photo of the day' thread an it's a lovely looking bike, but as @winjim said, there's ways of interacting on here, and generally OP has gone for what I reckon is a needlessly abrasive approach, which is why he gets the flak that he does. But as he's said more than once, he doesn't care, so it is what it is.

postman

Legendary Member
The roads here in rural Poshshire are still very quiet. Cycling on the road is a relatively pleasant experience at the moment, although the number of potholes gives me cause to suspect that Elon Musk may be practising Mars surface EVA's in the area quite soon.
Now make your mind up.I thought your butler did your cycling,just so you did not get a sweat on.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Even if I won the lottery £65+ million I would never spend that kind of money on a bike, even if the half centimetre was a physically gain
Oooh. No. If I won that sort of money I'd have a bespoke bike from the frame upwards. I have a daydream from time to time, walking in to my LBS and saying "Right guys, money no object, let's build a bike!" As much as anything a reward for 20+ years of help, advice and service.

Sounds indulgent I know but after buying my kids a house each the vast bulk of such a sum would go to charity. I couldn't conceive of spending it........

Phaeton

Guru
Oooh. No. If I won that sort of money I'd have a bespoke bike from the frame upwards.
But I still don't understand how any bike could conceivably cost that kind of money, what is it you can add or not add that can take the price up there & as said ultimately what determines its usefulness is the engine. It doesn't matter how much lightness you add, I could never ride a bike up the alps,

PaulSB

Legendary Member
But I still don't understand how any bike could conceivably cost that kind of money, what is it you can add or not add that can take the price up there & as said ultimately what determines its usefulness is the engine. It doesn't matter how much lightness you add, I could never ride a bike up the alps,
Yes, I understand this and I agree it's the engine which counts. I feel what I'm talking of here is personal pleasure and owning something beautiful. At very close to 66 the circumstances of huge personal wealth would, for me, be irrelevant.

I'd love to set my kids up. A house and a reasonable sum in trust of some form so they could retire at say +/- 55. I'd pay a decorator to paint my house. I'd like a nice car, not big, £30k on a nice all electric. When we go away we could stay in better B&B's.

So things I could add to my life would be very small and the best bike I could imagine would give me more pleasure than the £65m.

Hope this makes sense?

classic33

Legendary Member
Wouldn't adding something extra make it heavier?

Algarvecycling

It really isn't that hard to understand though surely? :smile: Clearly, you are not the target market for such a machine, which is fair enough. I wouldn't pay the hundreds of euros for some of the bottles of wine for sale in my local supermarket. Or the 250 euros per kg for the Wagyu steak. But I appreciate some folks will and do so because they can afford to, because they can taste the subtle differences and know that the creation time was lengthier and involved more work.

You might not be able to ride a 6.8kg climbing bike with the best quality components for durability up the Alps but others can. Some of them want to get up those climbs as fast as they can and beat their previous times. Some of them will pay for the marginal gains that 6.8kg bike with more exotic materials that involved greater research to produce and advance their personal best times by seconds or minutes, as the case might be, over their less light 8 or 9kg bike. Same engine. Same course. Different times due to...the bike.

Top Bottom