It proves if you have the legs you don't need the latest and greatest

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
There's always someone faster. And someone slower.

:hello:

Nomadski

I Like Bikes
I got my KoM* on a distinctly lower mid range alu framed bike, punted along by a (then) 51 year old, 18.5 stone rider with the aerodynamics of a small skip. The next 11 riders in the rankings were all either competitve riders or coaches, all on the latest plastic d***.

You either have the lungs and legs, or you don't, and if you don't then even the most svelte machine won't bestow you with them.

*this was the incident that prompted me to cease using Strava. Without trying too hard I had some dedent rankings on a few segments, and on one occasion got into the top 20 on this particular stretch. Spurred on I had a few dry runs over successive days and then went for it. I had the lines for the corners perfected, and went at it like Stormy Daniels at a presidential reunion. I got the segment, but the moment I had gone past the end and eased off the power I almost fainted, came genuinely close to blacking out while still riding. That frit me bad, so I stopped using Strava so I wouldn't ever be tempted to take it too far.

Funny you say that. I recently dug my aluminium Cannondale Synapse off the trainer and took it for a couple of rides. one of them I did feel leggy, but the other took me on a route I have done 30 odd times. Got a PR up a hill beating my previous best from 2018 (on my Carbon Dolan).

Did the same hill today on my Dolan and was 16 seconds slower, albeit had a slight hold up with a parked car.

So yeah, totally dig the "either you got it on the day or you dont" argument.

That said, still want a Carbon Cannondale Synapse one day :biggrin:

Top Bottom