It really does annoy me, Halfords

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MountainSide

It must be over 30 years since a bought a new bike from halfords and they couldn't do the basics like getting the breaks or gears to work and something else fell off before I even left the car park as I remember. Yet throughout the decades nothing seems to have changed, from what I keep hearing. Do they really think losing customers for life (and potentially being responsible for serious injury or death) is preferable than performing a quick pre-sale inspection check properly?

BeardyAndyM

Didn't they have a go at high end a few years back with Pinarello or someone??

What could possibly go wrong!!:wacko:

mustang1

Legendary Member
Couple of mth back girl at work get a new bike from Halfords CTW
Bike got knocked over and snapped the shimano brake lever .
Takes it back to Halfords for a new master cylinder ,but they just fit all new brake instead.

No prob with that and charge £40.
But its a small ladies mtb so instead of trimming the 2100 mm hose they just coil it up and that's it ... Ridiculous, why do they allow kids with no knowledge to work on bikes , told her to take it back ,see manager and play hell with him her ..
Even re-use the original hose and blead would be the easy option if no olives in store.

Does annoy me that none mechanical minded people have to put their trust in likewise none mechanical people.

The problem may extend further in that management have put a non-technical person in a technical job. Ps: when you say him/her, ok wait, i wont even go there. I'm in a funny mood this evening.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
I've defended halfords several times on these pages, having received generally good and at times exceptional service from my local store. Plus they're open 7 days and til 8pm during the week so I can always get there.

However, I'm starting to have a different opinion. Several really good, technically skilled staff have left over the last year or so.
Another skilled tech, who is also excellent at dealing with people (the two key factors for the job) has been promoted away from bikes to the lightbulbs, spark plugs and air fresheners downstairs and is transferring to a branch in another town altogether next month.
Add to this the constant tinkering and devaluing of the BC discount scheme and (currently) uninspiring range of bikes in the Boardman range means I'm thinking of going elsewhere for my next one.

Where? Goodness only knows. If it survives, the store staff at my local Evans need a kick up the backside and after the fiasco that was the PDI and collection of the Giant from Cycle Surgery I'd be reluctant to go back there.

OP
OP
Levo-Lon

Levo-Lon

Guru
I've defended halfords several times on these pages, having received generally good and at times exceptional service from my local store. Plus they're open 7 days and til 8pm during the week so I can always get there.

However, I'm starting to have a different opinion. Several really good, technically skilled staff have left over the last year or so.
Another skilled tech, who is also excellent at dealing with people (the two key factors for the job) has been promoted away from bikes to the lightbulbs, spark plugs and air fresheners downstairs and is transferring to a branch in another town altogether next month.
Add to this the constant tinkering and devaluing of the BC discount scheme and (currently) uninspiring range of bikes in the Boardman range means I'm thinking of going elsewhere for my next one.

Where? Goodness only knows. If it survives, the store staff at my local Evans need a kick up the backside and after the fiasco that was the PDI and collection of the Giant from Cycle Surgery I'd be reluctant to go back there.

Its so easy to get this right though, too many chiefs id guess

vickster

Legendary Member

Use an independent LBS :okay:

Cycle Heaven in York not too far away sell Condor ;)

Reactions: mjr

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
A long time ago (early 90s), a mate bought a bike from Halfords. They set it up, checked it over and gave him a certificate to say it was all good and roadworthy. On the way home, on a fast bend at the bottom of a steep hill, he turned the handle bar only to find that the wheel stayed (mostly) straight. They'd neglected to tighten up the headset properly after taking it out of the box and lining the bars up. He ended up going over a fence and landed in a field. He was knocked out for a few minutes and came too surrounded by car drivers who'd seen it happen and who'd stopped to help. He had broken his arm and cracked a rib. Needless to say that he sued Halfords, all for the sake of a check that would have taken a competent mechanic about 20 seconds!
That doesn't surprise me.
My missus used to work in Halfords legal department, one of her areas of responsibility was dealing with customer liability claims. Some of the things she told me that had happened would make your hair stand on end!

pjd57

Veteran
After buying my bike from Halfords last year, one of my first calls was to the local cycling hub to have a real mechanic check it over.

It was ok , but he did change the pedals.

PaulB

Legendary Member
In defence of Halfords; my local store has a really, really good mechanic who sorted out a problem on one of my bikes my local shop couldn't get to the bottom of (screaming wheels) plus, I happen to have a 25% discount card with the chain so you can be pretty sure it'll be getting some hammering in the run up to winterfest (formerly known as Christmas).

Top Bottom