It still amazes me that we do this....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

runner

Guru
I came out to our cycle rack at work on Friday to start my commute home and a colleague was in front..Hi John I said...no response...Hi John I said..no response...I went closer and said..louder Hi John ( I bet you can't guess his name ^_^)...no response. Then I noticed that he had earphones on and was playing loud music!! I think this is so suicidal, and I am sure there have been numerous discussions on this topic on this forum over many years...but I still think it is bloody stupid...enough said I've had my rant...what do you say John........

Agree if the commute involves roads and traffic, but admit I do use headphones on occasion as my commute is a mix of cycle paths, towpaths and I remove the headphones when I reach the only part where I have to cross a junction.
Depends too on the type of phones as many allow sounds through.

musa

Über Member
Tried it don't work for me too busy giving peds and vehicles a kicking. What should be the distraction gets distracted.

rusky

CC Addict
I used to when my commute was worth it. I had the volume at a reasonable level but found that wind noise from my helmet drowned out the music most of the time so I don't wear a helmet now.

snorri

Legendary Member
A cycling friend of mine couldn't overtake a jogger the other day, she was running in the middle of the joint user path and not responding to bell warnings. Then when my friend got very close and shouted she got a fright.....you can't win.

I always have TBH. I suppose as it's never contributed to an accident I don't think about it. I have had plenty of accidents, but never because my hearing was impaired.

This is a classic opinion splitter in my view. Those that do, those that don't, those that might, and those that won't.

FWIW I wear a helmet too :whistle:

fossala

Guru
Deaf people ride bikes, more drive cars
Because they are born/develop the dissadvantage, it doesn't give us the right to be stupid!

StuartG

slower but further
Deaf people ride bikes, more drive cars
For the umpteenth time - deaf people do ride bikes, live and breathe. They have to get about somehow. However they are welll aware of the danger. They do make use of their enhanced visual/spatial awareness but it is not a choice.

Headphones are a choice. Trying to justify them on someone else's disability is sick as well as dangerous. I trust that wasn't what you were trying to do?

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
I wouldnt feel safe wearing earphones and not being able to hear traffic. I get really irritated by the extra wind noise I get from my bike helmet, as my hearings good and i used to be able to hear traffic at a big distance on country lanes.

defy-one

I wouldnt feel safe wearing earphones and not being able to hear traffic. I get really irritated by the extra wind noise I get from my bike helmet, as my hearings good and i used to be able to hear traffic at a big distance on country lanes.

Does everyone experience this with helmets?
Listening to traffic is key for cycling safety imo
That would stop me from buying a lid (about to at insistance of wifey)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom