It still amazes me that we do this....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
[QUOTE 1901085, member: 45"]I know what you're trying to argue, and you know that it's not right. You've been given examples and you can think of others yourself.

Look, try taking the defensiveness out of it. You don't need to justify your headphone use to anyone. It's about acceptance of risk. It's ok to admit that there may be circumstances where being able to hear adds to your awareness, and that you're happy to accept this and continue wearing headphones. I listen to the radio in the car. There are times when having it switched off might help my awareness, I choose to accept that risk.[/quote]

Apologies for being so defensive, I guess I jumped on the position that the benefits of hearing traffic were clear and inarguable, I disagree that the argument or discussion on this subject is closed.

Hearing has helped me identify the source of clicking noises on my bike, helped me hear warnings from fellow riders during group rides and races, and of course alerted me to sirens of emergency vehicles (though still audible over music).

But general traffic noise I've never found a benefit in over 20 years of cycling and I will not admit that I accept a higher level of risk compared to the 'listening' cyclist. I do believe that the 'listening' cyclist is placing too much trust in a sense that is easily confused.

For every potential risk you hear, do you visually confirm the level of risk? Would you admit that each time you look away from your directional of travel you are being distracted by audible potential risks?

OilyMechanic

I'm going to keep wearing my Dr Dre Beats whilst I'm riding, amazing sound quality over the wind noise.

Aslong as I keep riding in a straight line, wearing headphones is no different to not wearing them. It's not like headphones make car drivers crash into me. There isn't a powerful magnet on them.

Anyway, if a car is going to hit me, he is going to do so wether or not I am wearing headphones. I'd prefer not to listen to 2 tonnes of metal crushing my bones, when I can be listening to James Blunt.

[QUOTE 1901373, member: 45"]
If you were to ask me whether I thought headphones, bringing an additional irrelevant sound source, were more of a distraction than being able to hear things of benefit I'd say yes.[/quote]

Fair enough. And this why I think the discussion on the benefits of being able to listen to traffic is not a closed one. It's not a 'one size fits all' answer, hearing may help some and it may hinder others. I am easily distracted and the music does seem to help with focus and concentration.

As one person pointed out....

If you have a car with open windows than the driver will hear a lot more around them. WHy should they be allowed to close the windows and compromise that valuable auditory input?

Reactions: gaz

defy-one

If you have a car with open windows than the driver will hear a lot more around them. WHy should they be allowed to close the windows and compromise that valuable auditory input?

I don't see the analogy ?
Sound within a car with windows open/not open is not the same as being a vulnerable cyclist. As the vulnerable road user, why cut off a valuable source of information such as sound?

[QUOTE 1901465, member: 45"]
It is simple physics. One sound source coming out of a piece of hardware which itself creates a barrier between you and your surrounding sound environment isn't going to make you hear what's going on on the road better.

I'm sorry, but this is just another example of trying to complicate what's simple in order to hide the obvious.[/quote]

No it's simple psychology, I don't think the sound from my surroundings is of any benefit to my safe cycling. Physics has nothing to do with it. Just because sound travels to my ears doesn't mean I should give it an attention.

It is not that simple or that obvious.

It's been found that the sounds from phone conversations distract drivers. Hence the ban to allow drivers to focus on driving the car with no audible distractions.

If you are spending some of your time focused on understanding the noises from your surroundings then you are not 100% focused on navigating the road ahead; i.e. distracted.

I find the music effectively blocks the surrounding interference and allows me to just get on with cycling.

As I mentioned I am easily distracted, which includes letting my mind wander off and the 'white noise' from the music also seems to help there.

I don't see the analogy ?
Sound within a car with windows open/not open is not the same as being a vulnerable cyclist. As the vulnerable road user, why cut off a valuable source of information such as sound?

The analogy is fair....

How many accidents would / could be prevented if the motorist had increased auditory input?

Would they hear a cyclist as well as see them?

We were always taught that in decreased visibility such as fof you should lower the windows and listen as well as look.

Why cut off a valuable source of information such as sound?

I always drive with the windows up.

When I drive with my windows open, I hear every little, petty comment about my driving that those pesky so-called 'cyclists' make.

No mandatory training, no fee paid for use of the road, no highly-taxed fuel to be paid for... and they think they can comment on me?

Sorry.... This seems as inappropriate as it is unfunny.

Also, I really am a crap driver, so they're right to yell at me.

I always drive with the windows up.

When I drive with my windows open, I hear every little, petty comment about my driving that those pesky so-called 'cyclists' make.
Also, I really am a crap driver, so they're right to yell at me.

That was not quite the auditory input that I had in mind!

Although I do find a loud "Have a Care" is often very effective

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
It's a personal thing, but I always use my Early All-round Road Surveillance (EARS) on the bike - for me, it's a bit like 360 degree radar. The only difficulty is on windy days when the white noise jams up my senses and leaves me feeling stressed. (As does driving with the window open.) The only time a cyclist has a chance of sneaking up on me unnoticed is on one of those days, and I don't like it - not because I'm being scalped: that's easy - but because it makes me realise how my road awareness has been compromised.

I have considered wearing earplugs in such weather, simply to reduce the decibels to a level where there's less overload and my brain can figure out what's around me more easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom