It weighs HOW much?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Oldspice

Poor chap hasn't finished paying for it yet and even if it was insured they would not pay as it was not locked. Hope he does not read the comments in the paper.

So will CC be organising a whip round for him:whistle: or send him a link of the Triban 3

Golly Gosh!

Some of the above is almost vitriolic... ripping into a man who probably regrets not taking a lock when going on a ride.

(It's the frame that the journalist says weighs a kilo... so not such awful journailism on that front. Perhaps on others, but I'm no judge.)

I've often gone for a ride lockless and had to leave a bike for a few seconds. Nothing worth more than £1200, but I've done so and will do so again. It happens. Some of us are less obsessive about property and security than others. It is not yet a crime.

It's just a bicycle. It was left unlocked and the poor chap has lost it. I've left keys in the ignition of a car overnight in east London before now... Quite a nice (nickable) car too. I deserved to have it stolen, but I was lucky.

My fixie is never locked... ever. This on the basis that most thieves would be discouraged after a single turn of the cranks. Even my posh (ish) road bike and HT are only locked when in the smoke... and then only with a £10 cable lock. I haven't had one of those weighty, solid U-lock things since my motorcycle days.

Lighten up people.... The owner might welcome a little sympathy and you're turning on him like the UCI turned on the poor astronaut chap who won that bike race.

Trickedem

Guru
I had an argument with the jobs worth manager of a Tesco metro in Thetford, when I took my bike in with me at 6.30 am. " you can't bring that in here" "why not?". He didn't have an answer other than to say "don't bring it in next time"
The girl behind chuckled when I said there wouldn't be a next time.

My basic rule of thumb is not to let my bike out of my sight if possible and still to lock it with a basic lock even then.

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
How horrible! No bike to ride and 600GBP still to pay on a bike he doesn't have anymore. Moral of the story is never assume that just because it's 8AM all the scallywags are still in bed. It's such a distinctive bike only an idiot would stick it on Ebay or Gumtree.

D

Deleted member 20519

http://www.gumtree.com/p/community/kuota-racer-racing-bike-reward/112546391

HI PLEASE CAN YOU HELP?
THIS VERY EXPENSIVE ROAD BIKE
WAS STOLEN OUTSIDE THE TESCO EXPRESS OPPOSITE BLOCKBUSTER´S IN CHORLTON THIS MORNING 22ND OCTOBER 8.00 AM.

I HAVE A small!! REWARD ESPECIALLY IF SOMEBODY OFFERS YOU THE BIKE IN THE MANCHESTER AREA.
PLEASE INFORM THE POLICE STRAIGHTAWAY OR CONTACT ME.

I WAS OFF ON A BIKE RIDE WHEN I POPPED INTO TESCO AND A CALLOUS THIEF DECIDED TO HELP THEMSELVES.

MANY MANY THANKS
A WELL- NAFFED OFF MANCHESTER CITIZEN

Oldspice

It's funny! Over two grand out the window just because he didn't want to carry a lock or take out insurance.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
My fixie is never locked... ever. This on the basis that most thieves would be discouraged after a single turn of the cranks.
Well given the number of kids I see riding fixies I wouldn't be happy to leave a bike unlocked myself.

I used to know someone who rode a reasonably expensive bike £2k ish, and he didn't want to be weighed down with locks and would often remove the front wheel when he nipped in somewhere. If I was with him I used to offer to lock mine up with it rather than leave it unlocked!

Crosstrailer

Golly Gosh!

Some of the above is almost vitriolic... ripping into a man who probably regrets not taking a lock when going on a ride.

(It's the frame that the journalist says weighs a kilo... so not such awful journailism on that front. Perhaps on others, but I'm no judge.)

I've often gone for a ride lockless and had to leave a bike for a few seconds. Nothing worth more than £1200, but I've done so and will do so again. It happens. Some of us are less obsessive about property and security than others. It is not yet a crime.

It's just a bicycle. It was left unlocked and the poor chap has lost it. I've left keys in the ignition of a car overnight in east London before now... Quite a nice (nickable) car too. I deserved to have it stolen, but I was lucky.

My fixie is never locked... ever. This on the basis that most thieves would be discouraged after a single turn of the cranks. Even my posh (ish) road bike and HT are only locked when in the smoke... and then only with a £10 cable lock. I haven't had one of those weighty, solid U-lock things since my motorcycle days.

Lighten up people.... The owner might welcome a little sympathy and you're turning on him like the UCI turned on the poor astronaut chap who won that bike race.

I don't think anyone is saying it is a crime Boris, they are saying leaving a £2000 plus bike outside a convenience store unlocked and unattended is at best ill advised and at worst idiotic.

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
It does actually say in the report "The grey and matt black FRAME weighs just one kilo".

The paper article says "The grey and matt black bike weighs just one kilo". So the internet report has been altered.

Night Train

Maker of Things
The paper article says "The grey and matt black bike weighs just one kilo". So the internet report has been altered.
Yes, the online version has been updated since I linked to it yesterday.
I have highlighted the paragraph in the photo of yesterday's paper below.
DSC_0840a.jpg

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
We have a new treasurer on the committee at work. He turned up the other day on a bike, and stood it on the paving outside the building - this is within a fenced area, but open to the public. Then he came inside.

Some treasurer, didn't even lock it. It happened that there were a few of us there who'd have seen anyone trying to take it through the window, but we all went off to do our jobs, and he was out of sight in the office.

And right next to the paved area, is our large covered bike rack....

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
there's a lot to be said for not having a lock as a sure fire means of bicycle security... but the idea is you never leave it unattended.

I did without a lock for years and on the odd occasion a shopkeeper said "you can't bring that in 'ere." I'd go to a different shop.

Night Train

Maker of Things
there's a lot to be said for not having a lock as a sure fire means of bicycle security... but the idea is you never leave it unattended.

I did without a lock for years and on the odd occasion a shopkeeper said "you can't bring that in 'ere." I'd go to a different shop.
I have been out locally on my Brompton on the basis that it was safer to be able to take that with me into shops then to lock my hack bike outside sometimes.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I really feel sorry for the bloke but not locking it when leaving it outside a shop is a rookie mistake.

You never know, some honest person might 'find' it and return it for the reward money.
Had it been insured, the insurance would have refused to pay out on the grounds that he hadn't locked it up in the first place.

Top Bottom