Italian Alan Frame

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

likaleica

I have inherited an ALAN aluminium frame made in the 1970s and need information about how to dismantle it as the top tube and down tube were bent in an accident. I know that the construction method was "screwed and glued" - but that is all I know. The ALAN factory in Italy is still in existence but unwilling to help with any information.

Does anyone out there know how I can dismantle the main "triangle" of top tube, seat tube and down tube from the head tube ? If tubes are internally screwed into the lugs, I assume one end of each tube has a left hand thread - so that each end can be loosened simultaneoiusly when the tube is twisted. But I don't know !
What glue is used ? Any informed comment on this wouild be very gratefully received.

Domestique

Über Member
I dont think you can take them apart ;)

stewie griffin

Über Member
Domestique said:
I dont think you can take them apart :rofl:

Yep, though they are threaded & glued they weren't made to be dismantled "at home", doesn't mean you can't though :rofl:, what have you got to loose?

If it's precious to you, find a builder with experience of them, might be easier said than done though.

Please let us know how you get on.

BIKENUTZ

Hi there. If you didnt manage to get your Alan frame fixed then would you consider selling the damaged frame to me so i can remove... sorry ..recycle.. the rear brake hanger. This part IS fully removable frame via 2 side bolts in the down tubes. I would be willing to pay upto £30 for a damage ALAN frame for this part. MAny thanks

Grasen

how are you going to fix it?
weld it?
glue it?

one way to remove tubes is with a cnc or drill (same size as Tube) I read somewhere that that is what lightspeed do when replacing cracked headtubes.

Top Bottom