Italian cyclist attempting to cycle coast to coast across Antarctica

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
The ice sheets in Antarctica are growing. He'll have further to go the longer he leaves it. :laugh:

https://eos.org/science-updates/new-perspectives-on-the-enigma-of-expanding-antarctic-sea-ice

At danger of being pedantic (perish the thought) you have your definitions wrong.

The ice sheet in Antarctica is the ice on top of the land. It's a mile or two thick, and contains enough water to raise global sea levels by seventy metres or so. It's receding:

https://grace.jpl.nasa.gov/resources/31/antarctic-ice-loss-2002-2020/

Screenshot_20221201-221635_Chrome.jpg

The Antarctic sea ice, which you refer to, is the ice formed each winter as the sea around the continent freezes. It's only a few metres thick at most, and makes almost no difference to sea level, as it's floating.

To confuse things further, there are also ice shelves. These are many metres thick, and are the ends of the glaciers descending from the ice sheet, floating on the sea.

Hope that helps!

At danger of being pedantic (perish the thought) you have your definitions wrong.

The ice sheet in Antarctica is the ice on top of the land. It's a mile or two thick, and contains enough water to raise global sea levels by seventy metres or so. It's receding:

https://grace.jpl.nasa.gov/resources/31/antarctic-ice-loss-2002-2020/

View attachment 669767

The Antarctic sea ice, which you refer to, is the ice formed each winter as the sea around the continent freezes. It's only a few metres thick at most, and makes almost no difference to sea level, as it's floating.

To confuse things further, there are also ice shelves. These are many metres thick, and are the ends of the glaciers descending from the ice sheet, floating on the sea.

Hope that helps!

I'm more than aware, and it alters nothing relating to what I posted in the context of the post I was responding to, and is explained in the link I put with it.

I hope that helps. :laugh:

roubaixtuesday

Gosh. That means you win then. Go you. :laugh:

It still changes sod all about what I posted relative to the comment in question, so I'll leave you to bark at the moon. :okay:

In so far as there is any relevance, the sea ice you link to is the least relevant; the described route from Hercules Inlet to McMurdo Station doesn't cross any sea ice whatever.

Not sure why you're so grumpy about a minor bit of pedantry. Chin up!

In so far as there is any relevance, the sea ice you link to is the least relevant; the described route from Hercules Inlet to McMurdo Station doesn't cross any sea ice whatever.

Not sure why you're so grumpy about a minor bit of pedantry. Chin up!

You reckon it's me being grumpy? :laugh:

My initial point still stands, and I really will just leave you to it, as you seem determined to 'win', even you're having some other argument to do it. :hello:

roubaixtuesday

You reckon it's me being grumpy? :laugh:

My initial point still stands, and I really will just leave you to it, as you seem determined to 'win', even you're having some other argument to do it. :hello:

I'm not trying to win anything, and I've no idea what your point was, or it's relevance :hello:

Top Bottom