It's a Carlton - probably!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've just acquired a frame off of the Ebay: it was billed as a Carlton and I have no reason to assume otherwise. It has crespera lugs, but is probably not Reynolds.
After a peruse of various websites, I'm coming to the idea that it might've once been a Continental, mainly because it doesn't have a bridge for centrepull brakes on the back, but i think there's a guide for a front derailleur cable on it, did early 70s Continentals come with 10 gears?
What have I got here folks? I haven't got it yet so these are the only pics I've got:
$_57.JPG
$_57.JPG
$_57.JPG
$_57.JPG

I was thinking I might paint the lugs silver to match the forks and get my daughter to sign-write the name in silver too

Spokesmann

Keeping the Carlton and Sun names alive...
The Continetnal never had chrome fork tips.

Spokesmann

Keeping the Carlton and Sun names alive...
I just assumed they were sprayed silver! What else ran sidepull brakes? From my brief trip round the net (including your site) most carltons seemed to have centrepull

Those are chrome - I know what you mean though!

OP
OP
mikeymustard
Finally got to look at this frame in the flesh (steel?) and daylight today, and I can confirm it's definitely..... a Carlton!
@Spokesmann I'm still leaning towards Continental, especially when I was looking through your thread and found that even the 5 speed has a guide for a front derailleur cable. Even though you say the Conti doesn't have chromed forks, your other original one does; are you trying to mess with my head? :wacko:^_^
I've also found the original colour on the forks which is red, and the serial number is 0163152, any help?

Top Bottom