It's been bugging me all night

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I hope this subject isn't too heavy for the cafe. I haven't signed up to the new style politics and current affairs and even if i had i wouldn't want a umpteen page discussion on the rights and wrongs of the causes and the cures etc. The thing is something happened to me at 6.15 tonight and it's been on my mind since then. I thought about posting about it earlier but kept putting it off,but i have to tell someone.
I went to the local chip shop for tea. On my way out some undesirables in a parked car gave me some serious abuse. I don't know who they were and as far as i know i haven't spoken to them before. As i approached their car i got a strong smell of cannabis. They'd also thrown quite a bit of chip shop wrapping paper,a tray and other stuff out their car. Naturally i looked at their car. Not at them but their car. Then they let rip. "What you lookin' at you f..k..g freak" followed by "we know where you live you @!#!"! I didn't make eye contact with them. I pretended i hadn't heard them. I walked further up the road then as i crossed i took note of the car's registration plate. I kept it in my head till i got home then wrote it down.
I'm here asking for reassurance. I didn't tell Mrs Accy as i didn't want to worry her. So i'm asking you lot.Have any of you lot suffered a similar incident? I felt a bit of a wimp when i got home and wondered if i should've told them to feck, off instead of pretending i hadn't heard them. I've heard from quite a few blokes around my age(56)who've had similar experiences. It seems these tossers are looking for a reaction, then if they get one they either up the abuse or even worse attack their target. Anyway,i've got their registration number. Should i let it go or should i contact the police so the incident will be recorded in case similar happens again?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 4721196, member: 76"]I have walked away without a thought before. I have also got a bit Jack Reacher on their arses too. I think you have to risk assess, decide and act on whatever your risk assessment came up with. 95% of the time it is 'walk away, too outnumbered and not worth it' 4% of the time you will have no choice, 1% of the time you have the choice and go for the attack option.

You are not in good health, recovering from a broken hip and probably don't have a fighting background to call upon, you did the right thing.

Relax and eat your tea.[/QUOTE]
It took me about 1 second to do the risk assessment. Like you suggest,my health,hip would've made even flight, never mind fight impossible.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 4721198, member: 9609"]What age were they?[/QUOTE]
It's hard to say. Like i said, i didn't look at them. I didn't want to make eye contact. They sounded like they were in their late teens or twenties. The car was a boy racer type Audi,so i don't think they were in their thirties or older than that.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Walk away and forget the incident within thirty seconds. If you don't, you'll be spending hours working out how you could have been Charles Bronson or Clint Eastwood. I've done that, but it's not healthy. Let it go. Ignore them.

I wish i could let it go, but i'm one of those who will analyse things like this for hours if not days. I'm not thinking Charles Bronson or Clint Eastwood.but i am thinking if i'd been 10 years younger and didn't have to use a walking stick they probably wouldn't have targeted me. Then again one of those who told me he'd been verbally attacked is younger than me and about 17 stone.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I wish i could let it go, but i'm one of those who will analyse things like this for hours if not days. I'm not thinking Charles Bronson or Clint Eastwood.but i am thinking if i'd been 10 years younger and didn't have to use a walking stick they probably wouldn't have targeted me. Then again one of those who told me he'd been verbally attacked is younger than me and about 17 stone.

Let it go. They don't deserve your feelings of discomfort.

classic33

Leg End Member
Thing is you're not 10 years younger, you're recovering from an operation as well which doesn't help whatever the the age.

How much were the fish & chips?

Tin Pot

Guru

Yes, I'm the same as are millions. It will eat at you, you will imagine other outcomes, but most importantly of all you are home with your wife - not in A&E.

It's not anything about you, it's about them and their worthless lives - they have no opportunities, nothing to look forward to and most likely don't have the wit to change their situation.

Pity them.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Don't sweat the small stuff. And that's what they are. I would have done exactly what you did. What else could you have done? As George, my elderly deckchair-hiring colleague during my summer as a park-keeper, used to conclude every one of his his interminable rambling stories of injustices endured: "So I said, I said, fook 'em." Fook 'em.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Yes, I'm the same as are millions. It will eat at you, you will imagine other outcomes, but most importantly of all you are home with your wife - not in A&E.

It's not anything about you, it's about them and their worthless lives - they have no opportunities, nothing to look forward to and most likely don't have the wit to change their situation.

Pity them.
It angers me that they can sit there without fear and just act in this way. This sitting in cars,smoking dope,acting like total lowlifes then driving off.. I don't know! I shake my head in despair sometimes.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 4721226, member: 9609"]I was just looking at the news stories for Accrington, it seems to be a rough place with a big drugs problem, seems to be a lot of asian gangs - is that fair comment or am I just being a bit unlucky with the news links.[/QUOTE]
The town of Accrington is quite rough in many places,but i live 3 miles away in Great Harwood. The crime rate here is fairly low,though someone "in the know" told me "a quarter of east Lancashire is on cocaine"!. They weren't Asians last night. They were white,going off their accents. I'm wondering if i've had a verbal run in with them while i've been on my bike. I don't challenge boy racers who cut me up etc,these days,though i do point at the road as if to say didn't you see that white line there?! Maybe they're so arrogant that even that'd offend them and they'd remember it and bide their time.

There i go again analysing their thoughts and actions!

U

User32269

You did the right thing. Fronting knob heads like that is a lose / lose situation. If you damaged them and their car, as gratifying as that may appear now, you will end up doing a stretch at her majesty's pleasure, and paying them damages.
If, which is much more likely, you get your head kicked in, your in hospital or possibly much worse.
Let it go. They will act hard on the wrong person soon enough and get what's coming.

Top Bottom