It's been bugging me all night

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slowwww

Veteran
A previous neighbour of mine, similar age to you, was walking back from the restaurant with some friends when he and one of the women got detached from the group. They came round a corner to be met by a group of 4 or 5 15 - 16 year old boys who, in the most explicit terms, gave a critique of what they thought of the woman and what James should do with her. James told them to be quiet and asked them to apologise to her, and he woke up from the coma in hospital a week later. He had a fractured skull and a major brain-bleed having been set upon by them all and when felled he hit his head on the kerb. They also gave her a few punches and kicks for good measure, and all in supposedly leafy Surrey. He's now a broken man, scared to go out after dark, and having counselling all the time.

You did the right thing, now just report them to plod and move on with your life, and thank your lucky stars you're not like James.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Report it and DONT be a hero

His name is Accy, not Billy

keithmac

Guru
More than likely two or three in the car so even if you'd have reacted it wouldn't have gone well for you.

I've had a few close passes etc and when weighing up my options if there's more of them than me I take the self preservation option.

Report the reg number, if enough people do it will end up with a marker and a possible section 59 where eventually they'll take the car off them..

Venod

Eh up
I had an incident on Saturday Night, Mrs Afnug and I were out with our lifelong friends, we had had a good night and being in a few dives and a few decent pubs, the last pub we visited is one of my favorites, just off the town center so too far for the rowdy crowd to walk to, it gets very busy but with a decent crowd, it was my turn at the bar which was struggling to serve people, I eventually squeezed in a space at the bar, I heard the the bloke behind say to his girlfriend, don't worrry he will be dead soon (referring to my great age) I turned round and gave him a load of abuse and pointed out I had reached that age and with his attitude he was unlikely to get there, after a few words to me from his girlfriend he didn't apologise but did say are we OK now, so I said yes.
While I was getting the drinks he had words with my mate threatening him, as I left the bar I said I do hope your not threatening him, to which he replied try me, I looked him up and down and said I think I can manage that and walked away with the drinks, and that was the end of the incident, I would have probably got a good hiding but I couldn't let the incident pass without saying something, afterwards I thought should I have just ignored the comment.

I think you did the right thing @Accy cyclist.

gbb

Legendary Member
Even at about 38 I realised you are not fast enough to take on young men. I got into an argument with a circa 20 year old...I stood fast and did something he thought was an attack...and was off so fast I couldn't even react. I only leant forward to impress a point :laugh:.

But at 38 I realised you're slowing down, let alone 58 :sad::okay:

Walk away, pride may hurt but it's the only sensible option.

Drago

Legendary Member
No matter your age, if you're within 6-8 feet of them they can be on you before your nervous system has time to react. Spacing and positioning are some of the most important defensive tactics skills - fortunately, it's a double edged sword, and it quickly becomes apparent if your potential aggressor has knowledge of such matters.

I've got the nervous system of a tired Stegosaurus so have to pay particular attention to this in tactical situations.

Garry A

Calibrating.....
Take comfort in the fact that they are all they will ever be in life. No hope of a decent education, decent employment, a nice family life, the love of others or a happy future. They will always be sad and bitter sitting doped up in their small world (chippy carparks) shouting abuse at strangers, I doubt if they'll see old age. Life is wonderful, don't waste time worrying about these a holes :okay:

Drago

Legendary Member
Some years back an old boy I know had a run in with some youths. This was also in a car park.

Unfortunately for the leader of the youths, the old boy was in the Malayan Scouts in the 1950s, and being an expert in guerrilla warfare and still quite fit, had no problem turning the tables. He gave it the old "don't hurt me, Im an old man" act, and the moment their guard was down he poked the leader right between the eyes, depositing him solidly upon his posterior and leaving claret flowing from his nose.

I don't condone violence and would only ever countenance it whenever necessary, but here's a salutary lesson there for scum bags everywhere.

wheresthetorch

Dreaming of Celeste
"Scumbags . . . Low-lifes. . . A holes . . ". Just to put another spin on this, having been a probation officer for 20 years I've spent a lot of time in the company of people who behave like this.

Without exception, they are hurt and damaged men and women. All were the victims of some sort of abuse and/or neglect.

Hate the behaviour, but try not to hate the person.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
You did the right thing, and you don't need to worry, they don't know where you live and even if they did they are not going to do anything now they have announced the threat in public. I would definitely report it though, not only because they are a nuisance but some people would worry themselves sick (sort of like what you're doing) thinking they're going to be mugged or burgled. If Police need leads on similar incidents then at least they will have the reg plate.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Forgive me asking, but are you disabled or something? was that their motivation for calling you a freak? If so, then they are scum to the power of sputum.

One of the few advantages of being a tall, large, well upholstered gentleman is that scum like this are too cowardly to pick on anyone with some visible firepower.
I think the way i'm walking at the moment gave them the motivation. I'm doing my best to walk without my stick as it does seem to attract cowardly and insensitive comments,but at the moment i wobble more without it than with it when i walk. Last night i decided to leave the stick at home,seeing as the chip shop is only a 2 minute wall away. Not only that but i have to consider other things. I have a weak jaw bone due to radio therapy and i can only see out of my left eye. I'll do anything to avoid a knock to my face. I don't fancy a broken jaw or total sight loss. I'll always remember my consultant telling me nearly 10 years ago to "run away rather than fight,as there's no shame in self preservation". He knew i wasn't the fighting type but i knew what he meant. As for the some having that physical appearance that scares idiots like these off, i mentioned earlier of some 17 stone bloke(and it's not fat)who suffered the same sort of abuse. He probably thought of the sticks and stones will break my bones but words will never hurt me. I know he was a night club doorman for quite a few years. He'll be used to the ones who gob off from a safe distance or from a car with the engine running ready for a quick getaway.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
You did the right thing, and you don't need to worry, they don't know where you live and even if they did they are not going to do anything now they have announced the threat in public. I would definitely report it though, not only because they are a nuisance but some people would worry themselves sick (sort of like what you're doing) thinking they're going to be mugged or burgled. If Police need leads on similar incidents then at least they will have the reg plate.
Yes that "we know where you live" rattled my cage,as they say. Who/what do these idiots think they are?! Do they think they're "gangstas" and going to do a drive by shooting or something? They're pathetic as well as down right offensive.
I have decided to report it to the police. Like others suggest, this may not be the first time they've acted like this.

Drago

Legendary Member
In almost 25 years in the Dibble I met some who were a result of their upbringing or unsolicited experiences.

However, an equal number or more were from normal backgrounds, weren't abused, and had every advantage available to them that a regular kid would, and yet they still behaved like scum bags when their peers did not.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
If it's been bugging you @Accy cyclist then doing something about it might help. Report it. That might help you forget it. Also if enough people report it then a case can be made and something might be done about it.

But mostly - don't let the b*gg*rs steal your joy

Last edited:
Top Bottom