It's huge!

• Thread starter Deleted member 23692
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 23692

Just test fitted today's arrival, and it is huge....

_GRF2251_zpshu49sooz.jpg

42 teeth of green sprocket loviness :becool:

i'm still waiting for some new hub bearing to turn up and then I can get it all put back together.

AndyRM

XOXO
'Kinell! Are you having a crack at Everest on two wheels?

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 23692

it's an XT M786, with a OneUp RAD cage fitted - which is a beautifully machine part

The chain ring is a Superstar narrow/wide jobbie.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Holy cow! Isn't it easier to walk once hill get that bad?

Fair point.

I was talking to an experienced touring cyclist in the Lake District.

He said he could wind up more or less anything with the gearing on his bike, but tended to push on the steepest stuff because it was just as quick, if not slightly quicker.

There is also the problem of balance.

If you are reduced to pushing the lowest gear at a low cadence it can be hard to keep the bike upright.

Another touring cyclist made a similar comment to me about headwinds.

He said if he was facing a real brute he would push because it was easier and almost as quick.

Fair point.

If you are reduced to pushing the lowest gear at a low cadence it can be hard to keep the bike upright.

He said if he was facing a real brute he would push because it was easier and almost as quick.
Agree with (1) I found this when I was riding the Kharakum with loaded panniers. Head and cross winds are the devil with panniers, even last night with a moderate load in one pannier a varying wind on the A69 nearly had me over when riding the Nomad.

Motozulu

Über Member
I've got much the same set up - haven't got the rad cage though and it shifts fine without. I have recently removed the 32t front for a 30t though - as we are doing Snowdon up and down next month.

Motozulu

Über Member
Yes no probs - should be an epic weekend as on the Saturday we are doing the Penmachno trails, staying in a barn overnight for a BBQ and beers (especially for MTBers with a lock up etc) and then on the Sunday morning it's Snowdon. The barn is basic ie it's camp beds and you have to take your own sleeping blanket but for £12 a head it's spot on.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Fair point.

I was talking to an experienced touring cyclist in the Lake District.

He said he could wind up more or less anything with the gearing on his bike, but tended to push on the steepest stuff because it was just as quick, if not slightly quicker.

I'm the other way. For really steep stuff I'd prefer to be cycling up in a very low gear (currently 22-32 on mine). With 4 panniers the centre of balance is very low, so the bike is stable at low speeds. Also it's not that comfortable standing in the gap between front and rear panniers to push on really steep hills, as the required body angle means I tend to catch either the front or rear pannier.

However I'm off to Wales next week and expect to be doing some pushing.

Top Bottom