It's not funny. No, really, stop laughing...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Traffic was a bit held up going down Stonebow. I nearly got off and walked back through town, but then I'd have missed the sight of the car with the Stonebow rising bollard embedded in the front...

Driver must have been going at a fair lick by the look of it - perhaps trying to chance it through after a bus. I didn't have a camera with me, and I'm not going back because a: it would be voyeuristic, and b: it's two flights of stairs back down and I can't be bothered....

Fire brigade were in attendance, but not working urgently to cut the car open or anything, and no ambulance in sight, just the cycle paramedic's bike. No sign of the driver so they are either already on the way to hospital, or having a chat with the plod....

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
They should have installed one on Coppergate too.

Did the car just pile into an already-risen bollard, or did the bollard rise as the car was over it and impale the car? Now, that last would have been funny!

I presume the driver will get billed for the cost of damage to the bollard, amongst other things. :rolleyes:

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
Did the car just pile into an already-risen bollard, or did the bollard rise as the car was over it and impale the car? Now, that last would have been funny!

I presume the driver will get billed for the cost of damage to the bollard, amongst other things. :rolleyes:

I would say (from a brief glance as I rode by) that the bollard was already rising at least - the front of the car was well stoved in, but also lifted up - the bollard appeared to be fully up.

Thinking about it, I've seen the bollard go down, but never watched it come up (it's a road I only tend to use one way), so I don't know how fast it rises.

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
I would say (from a brief glance as I rode by) that the bollard was already rising at least - the front of the car was well stoved in, but also lifted up - the bollard appeared to be fully up.

Thinking about it, I've seen the bollard go down, but never watched it come up (it's a road I only tend to use one way), so I don't know how fast it rises.

Was it something along these lines?

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
Was it something along these lines?

Perhaps not quite that bad...

I would think the car couldn't have been going all that fast - buses and taxis generally have to stop and wait for the bollard to retract, so any following car would have to slow too. But I think they must have put their foot down a bit as they moved forward - unless they were just coming at it at 30 with no vehicle in front, already raised, and didn't see the bollard. But it looked like it had been lifted up a bit.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Perhaps not quite that bad...

I would think the car couldn't have been going all that fast - buses and taxis generally have to stop and wait for the bollard to retract, so any following car would have to slow too. But I think they must have put their foot down a bit as they moved forward - unless they were just coming at it at 30 with no vehicle in front, already raised, and didn't see the bollard. But it looked like it had been lifted up a bit.
PMSL, but did you see these?
http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=hCSsope5vOA&feature=related

Ben1982

:biggrin:

Someone will be along in a minute to say we're all nasty cruel people who don't care that someone might get hurt, and anyway, bollards are just an easy way to raise revenue... no hang on, I'm getting confused with speed cameras....

It does seem ridiculous that they can completely obliterate a truck doing 50mph without being damaged, but I guess that is an extreme case. The video of the cheats is funny though, I couldn't work out from the video whether the 2nd one was holding his head in pain from knocking it or thinking "OMG what have I done!"

Cubist

Still wavin'
It does seem ridiculous that they can completely obliterate a truck doing 50mph without being damaged, but I guess that is an extreme case. The video of the cheats is funny though, I couldn't work out from the video whether the 2nd one was holding his head in pain from knocking it or thinking "OMG what have I done!"
It's pain, wife is also clutching her head, and they both rush to check out junior in th back!. Look at the white van and check the damage to the windscreen when he headbutts/faceplants it right at the end.

Ben1982

It's pain, wife is also clutching her head, and they both rush to check out junior in th back!. Look at the white van and check the damage to the windscreen when he headbutts/faceplants it right at the end.

Yowsers, didn't spot that on the White Van at the end!

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
It's not funny...just damn bloody stupid.

I agree it's bloody stupid. But shadenfraude is a powerful feeling....

To be fair, I'd have the same opinion of a cyclist or pedestrian who hurt themselves because they acted bloody stupidly - it's not especially anti car.

Femto

The band I'm in had a gig a while back at Fibbers on Stonebow and we were looking for the place. We were following a bus.
Then I said, 'Ah, this is Stonebow. We're here. :eek: LOOK OUT! STOP!!!"
The bollard raised as soon as the bus had passed over the top of it.
It was lucky that I (middle seat passenger in our Transit van) was looking forwards out of the windscreen at that point rather than at the York A-Z map across my knee cos the drummer and guitarist were peering out of the side windows trying to spot the venue.

I agree it's bloody stupid. But shadenfraude is a powerful feeling....

To be fair, I'd have the same opinion of a cyclist or pedestrian who hurt themselves because they acted bloody stupidly - it's not especially anti car.

Not having a go at you :whistle:...but the stupidity some people get up to is just bloody astounding.

Top Bottom