It's surprising the difference in muscles we use for cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnnyb47

Guru
Hi and a belated Happy New Year to all.
The weather was absolutely freezing cold tonight, and thought it was probably better to give a bike ride a miss.
As i was feeling energetic i opted for a walk instead. I've never been much of a fan of long walks, but for some reason tonight i just fancied going out on one.
I consider my cycling rides fairly competent and can cover 50 miles with relative ease, so a short walk should be breeze (famous last words)
So this evening I set off into the darkness listening to some nice music through my ear phones.
5 miles past when i got home and my legs feel like two pieces of lead. My calf muscles feel like I've been cycling all day. Clearly you must use different muscles walking or running compared to cycling.
Needless to say though, it was pleasant to explore the local area and take time to see things at a slower pace rather than tearing around on the bike.
All the best,
Johnny

Cerdic

Yep, I've noticed this. Especially when walking up a steep hill!

I feel fit, use an indoor rower if I can’t get out, trail run too but when I walk the fells my legs ache the following day. If I run them I am wiped out for a couple of days. As screenman says cycling gets you bike fit. I ran the spine in the picture below and whole body ached :wacko:
8ABEF16F-868F-46C8-832C-6CB601C3873B.jpeg

I benefit from 6 or so miles a day dog walking, and leg day scheduled 3 days a week in my gome gym. Mucho respect to the top flight triathletes who put their bodies though all sorts of contradictory exercises, but who still manage a high at both. Not easy.
I worked with a guy in Italy who did Triathlons to stay fit. Lived in Northern Italy and cycled 60-100km a day on weekends with mates. And does the Zoncolon. He used to be asked to be dropped off near beach and then would swim along bay back to hotel on one job :wacko:.....very fit

Drago

Legendary Member
A local guy in his 60s is a trathlete. He looks 40. I saw him recently and asked if he was still training. He replied that he wasnt feeling well so had binned off the run and swim that day, and had settled for a "quick ride" to Luton and back. Thats a 60 mile round trip, probably done at warp speed. Not bad for someone who isn't well.

Im in good shape for my age, what with the care in my diet, the cycling snd 6 days a week lifting, but some of these triathletes are a completly different species!

We weren't allowed to cycle for 9 weeks in the lock down so as a way of not going bonkers I took up walking. No more than 7 miles done briskly. I learnt two things. It takes much more effort to cycle. I much prefer to ride my a bike.^_^

We weren't allowed to cycle for 9 weeks in the lock down so as a way of not going bonkers I took up walking. No more than 7 miles done briskly. I learnt two things. It takes much more effort to cycle. I much prefer to ride my a bike.^_^
yep, must admit I generally prefer country cycling to walking - pace of scenery change suits me better - for fans of walking there's a nice series running this week on BBC4 at 7pm - winter walks - full series already on iplayer I think.

Top Bottom