It's the little disappointments...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
This talk of marmalade brought to mind a letter from last weekend's Grauniad:

1581526322984.png

Commercial preserves are usually 65 % sugar, 35% fruit, as, according to a friend who works in the food industry, that's what the majority of people want. Plus, of course, sugar is way cheaper than fruit... And as for the grapefruit, it's probably the minimum legal quantity in there for it to be called grapefruit marmalade. I would suspect that the main ingredients are sugar and orange juice.

My preserves are typically one part fruit to one part sugar, or in some cases, two parts fruit to one part sugar. They are a LOT less sweet, but you really do get the intensity of flavour. Aforementioned friend says that what I turn out a) wouldn't sell and b) are not commercially viable. But hey, who cares LOL

But in any case, making marmalade is really easy. Might I recommend you try this instead. :biggrin:

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/recipe-reynards-easy-peasy-lemon-squeezy-marmalade.256471/

postman

Legendary Member
Better idea butter the toast mark a line down the middle marmite one side marmalade the other sorted oh i am full of good ideas.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Commercial preserves are usually 65 % sugar, 35% fruit, as, according to a friend who works in the food industry, that's what the majority of people want. Plus, of course, sugar is way cheaper than fruit... And as for the grapefruit, it's probably the minimum legal quantity in there for it to be called grapefruit marmalade. I would suspect that the main ingredients are sugar and orange juice.

My preserves are typically one part fruit to one part sugar, or in some cases, two parts fruit to one part sugar. They are a LOT less sweet, but you really do get the intensity of flavour. Aforementioned friend says that what I turn out a) wouldn't sell and b) are not commercially viable. But hey, who cares LOL
Reminds me of this...
OMFG - tonight she conjured up home-made date sponge soused in sticky toffee sauce***! :hyper:

*** It was deliciously sweet, despite her using less than 40% of the sugar in the original recipe. It makes me think that some people must have a ridiculous sugar addiction! Next time, she is going to try using even less sugar and butter, and use single instead of double cream in the sauce.
Which reminds me - she never carried out her promise to make me another, less-sweet one! (Thinking about it - dates are very sweet, I wonder if ANY sugar is actually needed?)

Reminds me of this...

Which reminds me - she never carried out her promise to make me another, less-sweet one! (Thinking about it - dates are very sweet, I wonder if ANY sugar is actually needed?)

You would need sugar in the sponge - getting the cake to rise is a fairly exact chemical reaction. Fewer dates would work tho.

FWIW, I don't particularly like sticky toffee pudding, simply because it IS so horrendously sweet...

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
You would need sugar in the sponge - getting the cake to rise is a fairly exact chemical reaction. Fewer dates would work tho.

FWIW, I don't particularly like sticky toffee pudding, simply because it IS so horrendously sweet...
How can anyone not particularly like sticky toffee pudding? It's just the best pud ever...nothing else comes close.

Top Bottom