iTunes library help!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wifflebat

Regular
hi all
I've got a bit of a problem that I can't seem to find a solution to. I'm not a technophobe by any means but Apple stuff just seems to work very strangely for my primitive brain.

Basically I have an old iPod (80G I think with the circular scroller button thing. I think it's maybe called a video iPod) that I use solely to store allllllll my music. Everything.
I spent a very long time ripping all my CDs and still, by and large, buy any new music in cd format. My iPod comes with me in the car and means I can listen to anything I want whenever.
I don't really use the playlists very much (the kids have one and I think my wife has one for when she goes running) or any of the other features/gimmicks.

All the MP3 data is backed up on an external hard which I use because my laptop hard drive was too small at the time.
My problem is that I do not have the iTunes library anymore. Im not sure what happened to it but have vague memories of something either being corrupt or not working with a new version of iTunes or something.

Is there any *straightforward* way to extract this library from the iPod and carry on as before? I've tried a program that claimed to be able to do this but it didn't work (think it was called Syncios or something like that).
Or would I be better to wipe it and start again by reloading everything again...and if I'm doing that, should I be using a different program other than stupid iTunes?

Sorry for the rambling (and excessive use of brackets) and thanks in advance for any advice!

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Just add a the music back into iTunes and sync again. If you think you don't have all the music on your external drive then it gets a bit more complicated.

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
Apples really are a sour, maggot riddled fruit. I had some MP3 stuff and I think all I did was go to File and Add Folder. That of course was an older version of iTunes so it has probably got more complicated and more rubbish since then.

When I did what you are doing, I had even backed up the iTunes folder containing everything before I gave an old PC back to work. I then simply copied it back into the new PC in the same place. Of course iTunes randomly deleted and then found various albums but won't of course sync it to my iPod.

None of this has helped you but at least my spleen feels slightly vented!

OP
OP
W

wifflebat

Regular
Apples really are a sour, maggot riddled fruit. I had some MP3 stuff and I think all I did was go to File and Add Folder. That of course was an older version of iTunes so it has probably got more complicated and more rubbish since then.

When I did what you are doing, I had even backed up the iTunes folder containing everything before I gave an old PC back to work. I then simply copied it back into the new PC in the same place. Of course iTunes randomly deleted and then found various albums but won't of course sync it to my iPod.

None of this has helped you but at least my spleen feels slightly vented!

Amen

Top Bottom