itunes query

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Um...

Radio4 online seems to be playing up, so I've been listening to my itunes all day. Just before lunch, I noticed a new playlist at the side - 'Ivan's Music'. in it there was a lot of music - some Latin - Buena Vista Social Club sort of thing, some pop (Queen).

I don't know anyone called Ivan. As far as I know, none of the students with access to this room is called Ivan... No-one called Ivan has had my computer at any time, to my knowledge. Where the heck did it come from?

Most bizarrely, where has it gone now? It's vanished. Annoying, because I was tempted to listen to some of it (but didn't in case it was some sort of virus..)

Do ghost playlists often pop up like this?

SamNichols

It will be the computer of someone else on the network - it always used to happen in my office at the university as well (although I couldn't always listen to the stuff in there), and when I used to share wireless internet with people next door (it was an arranged agreement I could usually listen to a girl called Caroline's music too.

there is a 'share my music' button on iTunes, so if someone is on the same network their playlists will show up. often happens at work, etc.

it can be terrible as everyone can see your bad taste in music.

L

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
Well, I had no idea! So could I listen to that? Could I copy it? Not that I intend to, well, it's stealing innit?

My music tastes on show to all? Blimey. Especially after my 70/80's electornic music splurge last week!

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
look in preferences arch. if you set the sharing preferences up so that "look for shared libraries" is unchecked and also that "share my library in my local network" is unchecked, you will not see other folks' libraries, nor will they see yours. and, alas, you can not copy them anyway, or playback itunes purchases unless they authorise you :biggrin:

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
Cheers - I'll have a look at preferences later. Yeah, should have remembered about authorised users, silly me...

Pity, I liked the look of some of the Buena Vista Social Club stuff. Tom and I watched the film at Christmas and he got very excited about the idea of going to Cuba, because of all the great old cars... Doubt we'd ever have got round to it, but the music was infectious...

Should just get the CD out of the library...:biggrin:

SamNichols

iTunes is excellent on the mac, actually. It's just all you PC users who get stuck with the bad end of the deal.

twowheelsgood

SamNichols said:
iTunes is excellent on the mac, actually. It's just all you PC users who get stuck with the bad end of the deal.

Nope, it's more or less the same, just a very poor piece of software compared to the opposition - have you ever tried syncing with 2 different machines for example without wiping your player each time? Because it uses only the MP3 tags and not directory structures your options for alternatives are severly limited so you are stuck with whatever crud Apple serve up.

People keep telling me how great the ilife applications are but I really can't see it myself. Easy to use yes, but really poor functionally. As for quicktime, possibly the worst codec/media player in the known universe.

Jack

I agree with SamNichols. On the Mac, iTunes is a brilliant application.. Very stable, fast and powerful. I don't want to argue about the merits of Macs - but it is unfair to criticise the iLife applications for having poor functionality. You tell me what has better functionality that comes with a PC.. If you find the functionality of the iLife suite limiting, you are probably not who it is aimed at.

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
abchandler said:
Pop?? Freddie would be turning in his grave:smile:

Alright, alright, modern rockular music...:thumbsup:

Sorry, I really have no idea about music apart from knowing what I like...

Top Bottom