ITV - Program on Cycle theft

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by ufkacbln, 14 Jul 2007.

1. ufkacbln

ufkacbln Guest

ITV1 are to show a porogram highlightingthe problem with Cycle theft in London - May be worth a look.

2. Steve Austin

Steve Austin The Marmalade Kid

that could be interesting
    and terribly depressing :?:

Sad fact of life, a bike lock is never really going to stop someone stealing a bike. When a convicted bike thief gets a meaningless sentence, it just shows what this means to our government.

Should be interesting viewing

3. OP
    OP
    ufkacbln

ufkacbln Guest

I may be "responsible" for the Brick Lane aspect.

There were feelers put around a few months ago asking for experiences and information.

I suggested that one of the most common occurrences on Forums was the mention of Brick Lane......

Of course - it may be totally irrelevant, and not the case at all, but I would like to think.

4. Keith Oates

Keith Oates Janner

With Brick Lane so well known for the selling of stolen bikes I would have thought the Police could very easily stop the actions by not only catching the thieves but also charging the people doing the buying!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. orkneyblues

orkneyblues Well-Known Member

when is it on?
    Orkney has a pretty low crime rate, but I have started locking my bike in town these days as I have started to worry over my pride and joy being nicked, as unlikely as it may be. I think that the cycle theft in most towns and cities have made me feel paranoid.

6. Well, show people how to steal a bike - or break into a car, burgle a house, etc - and
    a) it gives more scumbags the idea and shows them how to do it
    :?: it shows cyclists how bikes are stolen so you know how to effectively lock one up and deter someone from stealing it

Sadly, on balance I think :?: far outweighs a)
    - scumbags who are likely to steal bikes already know how to do it, or easily find out from their mates - they don't need a television program or magazine article to tell them how
    - but how many honest people don't know how to actually lock up a bike effectively : if they're determined to steal your bike then they'll usually get it, but if they're just going to steal a bike and yours is better locked-up than another, then perhaps yours will stay and they nick the other one.

My wifey carried a great big heavy U-lock to our running club 5K the other week. We're both injured, not running, so were both marshalling.
    I was doing lead-bike duties, so didn't bother with any sort of lock - I was on the bike the whole time, or leaning on it.
    Mrs wrx was doing finish times, U-locked the bike to a post even though it was only near where she was standing.
    After the race, she was a bit embarrassed when I just lifted the whole bike, U-lock and all off the post...

7. col

col Veteran

Interesting thread,i remember some time ago a cycling mag i used to get that did a test on bike locks,bronze, silver and gold i think they were rated at?and how long it took to get them off with the tools used,if i remember correctly there was only a matter seconds between them and some of those cost £50 or more i think,a little dissapointing really,i wonder how much better or effective locks are now in comparison,if at all.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice