Iv'e been banned....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
from recycling due to the fact that I use a pedal cycle. In my case a Brox Quad.

Reason given include:
That whilst using a pedal cycle I am in fact a pedestrian, not a cyclist.

A bicycle or in my case a quadricyle is placed in the same class as a mini-moto, or a child on a scooter.

Council not willing to accept/believe that a pedal cycle is a legal road vehicle.

Anyone else come across this.

From the same council that brought us this-
http://www.larsoa.org.uk/larsoa_archive/news_nov05/news11_killer_bikes.htm

walker

I don't understand?

you mean recycling rubbish? why? whats the reason?

OP
OP
classic33

classic33

Leg End Member
Banned from taken garden waste or any household waste left after decorating that kind of thing, to any local council owned recycling centre.

Two of the latest reasons given in the first post.

Using the Brox to protest outside the council offices in Halifax town centre tomorrow.

i walked a mile across town to get rid of an old frame at the recycling centre.
when i got there they refused to let me in without a pass. apparently you can't go in on foot??!!!i was supposed to walk home ,ring for a pass, wait for it to arrive and then repeat the journey.
i told them that they either took the frame or i rang the newspaper and waited for a photographer and reporter to arrive.
they got the chief Muppet from his bed in the office and grudgingly took it.
i asked why car users weren't classed as pedestrians when they got out of their cars, did they hover a few inches above the floor?
they couldn't answer.
complete waste of space.
got rid of another by cutting it up and throwing it in the wheely bin, so unfortunately it won't get recycled.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Our local recycling place often has long ques of cars. So when we had an old PC monitor we wanted to get rid of, we drove down the que so far, parked off the road and walked the monitor in. We were told that we weren't alowed on sit if we came in on foot by some women in an office. So we said, well your not allowed to sell items either, but you do. And she took the monitor.:wacko:
Why sit in traffic when you can just walk it in?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Go to one of the local supermarket's recycling points - I take all our plastic bottles, cardboard etc to it - nearer and quicker than the local council tip.

It's crazy isn't it - pretty sure it's the same at out point - no provision for folk on foot or bike.

simonali

Guru
McDonalds don't let cyclists in their drive thrus either. They let me get to the front of the queue before telling me, as well!

domtyler

Über Member
Hmmm, sounds like a call to the local rag and maybe your local bbc news station is order.

yenrod

I know I know - its due to health and safety: what you lot need to do is buy one of these if your gonna walk onto the yard...

vest.jpg

When your in a vehicle your protected, allegedly :sad:

As the law stands :biggrin: if you are hit by one of the big trucks (on foot without a hi-viz on) that load/move the crap around then allsorts of legal crap is blown sky-high..!

I work on a 'tip' - effectively and we even have to wear them INSIDE ! though we dont sometimes but mostly do...as a vehicle isnt exactly going to THROUGH the building :biggrin: but just fo the record...

Health and Safety - part of the PC :biggrin: brigade!!!!!!

simoncc

We've got to look at the greater recycling cause here. People who would otherwise have been on the dole have been recycled into good-for-nothing jobsworth council 'officers' making silly rules. Think of your recycling difficulties as a social service keeping these people employed - a sort of care in the community.

Danny

Legendary Member
Cyclists in York had the same problem are our recycling centre, but I think were eventually able to negotiate an arrangement to use their bikes.

I have to say that one of the few times I use a car is when I take stuff for recycing. It would take too many journeys to do it by bike.

I really do hope my council do not get this stupid idea into their heads. Just bought a camcart on the strength of (mainly) garden waste runs to the recycling centre
Of the two local places new and nearest one a sort of collection point, which I use, is usually quiet. can't think I've seen more than half a dozen cars queuing. The other place I hate going to at all as its the main one the council bin lorries use, traffic is stupid and just wouldn't with the bike.

I reckon the bike saves time. 2 runs = 1 car load.
Bike - fill trailer, attach to bike, go, jump queue, empty, return. Repeat. Hose out box. 2 round trips bit over an hour.
Car - hump stuff out to car, go, queue for a bit, empty, return. 3/4 of an hour. Clean out car, remove bits of grass, bugs, etc. 1/2 hour+. Air out smells another 1/2 hour.

Done for a mainly practical purpose, not fuel or enviroment saving reason. Having just changed cars there is still something in keeping it looking nice at the moment.

Night Train

Maker of Things
I must try this at my local tip and see what they say. They have amaximum height bar to stop commercial vans coming in, presumably to tip commercial waste, and so van drivers park outside and take stuff in on foot without any problems. I also use a big trailer without being treated as commercial. I will take the bike in next time and see what they say, I will probably cheat and drive the bike though there as it is too far to cycle with any load only to get turned away.

Top Bottom